Sun Life Financial SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Sun Life Financial, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Sun Life Financial to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Sun Life Financial is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The article below lists the Sun Life Financial SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Sun Life Financial SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Sun Life Financial, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Sun Life Financial looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Sun Life Financial :
1. Sun Life ranks on the Forbes Global 2000 list and also Fortune 500 list
2. Sun Life Financial has a strong presence in investment management with strong assets under management operating in a number of countries
3. It has expertise in life insurance, asset management and pension
4. The company’s strong and increasing capital strength has made it resilient to the market developments with a strong balance sheet
5. Strong legacy since 1865
6. International operations in more than 15 countries
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Sun Life Financial SWOT Analysis:
1. The company is highly dependent on the American market for generating its profits
2. Weaker cost structure as compared to competitors
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Sun Life Financial SWOT Analysis:
1. The ageing population in the American market poses a huge opportunity for the retirement market.
2. The company has been focusing on its core businesses in order to avoid any fluctuations in the financial markets affecting it.
3. The company finds great opportunity in the Chinese and Indian insurance market
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Sun Life Financial are as mentioned:
1. There is an increase in strictness in the regulatory compliance and complexity in the US market leading to increase in costs.
2. The subprime crisis has resulted in a low policy interest rate environment.
3. There is going to be a likely increase in competition for capital for the company due to Solvency II adoption.
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Sun Life Financial:
1. Aviva Plc
Hence this concludes the Sun Life Financial SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Sun Life Financial Overview|
Sun Life Financial, Inc.
An international leader in protection and wealth management services, dedicated to helping customers achieve lifetime financial security
Leading international financial services company, building on our strengths for 150 years
|Sun Life Financial STP|
Life insurance, Pensions, and Asset management
Individuals, Families, Companies, Pension funds, Institutions
committed to the highest standards of business ethics and good governance
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Sun Life Financial. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us