Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Alstom analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Alstom SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Alstom to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Alstom is one of the leading brands in the conglomerates sector.
The article below lists the Alstom SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Alstom competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
Leading technologies in power generation, electrical grid and railtransport infrastructures
Transport infrastructure, power generation and transmission industries
Thermal power plants, Urban and passenger travel market, railway operators, Hydro-electric power plants, geothermal power plants and nuclear power plants
Creative and problem solving technologies with ethical and innovative ways
SWOT Analysis of Alstom
For Alstom, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the Alstom SWOT Analysis:
The strengths of Alstom looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Alstom :
1. Has its presence in over 100 companies with more than 90,000 employees 2. Market-leading position across product portfolio - around 40% of the world's operating nuclear power stations use Alstom made equipment, approximately 30% of boilers installed worldwide using Alstom technology 3. Integrated offerings and comprehensive product portfolio like power lines and transportation system 4. Operates a robust network of over 200 locations in 70 countries and over 30 centers of technical expertise
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Alstom SWOT Analysis:
1. Alleged anti-competitive activities 2. Weak financial and operational health - consecutively reported negative free cash flow
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Alstom SWOT Analysis:
1. Positive outlook for renewable markets 2. Strategic expansion of power plant boilers business in China 3. Ageing of power plants
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Alstom are as mentioned:
1. Intense competition especially in power components 2. Regulations 3. Uncertain global economic condition
4. Availability of substitutes and technology developers at low cost
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 6 competitors of Alstom:
1. Abengoa S.A 2. Ansaldo STS SpA 3. BHEL
4. Invensys plc
6. Yokogawa Electric corporation
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Alstom. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute