eBay SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of eBay, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
eBay is one of the leading brands in the IT & Technology sector. The article below lists the eBay SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
For eBay, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of eBay looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in starting SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of eBay :
1. eBay is an early market entrant with localized operations in over 30 countries
2. Integrated services like online ticket tracking, online money transfers etc
3. eBay has strong international presence providing services to a larger consumer base
4. A highly trusted and revered brand in the market
5. eBay has over 14,000 employees globally
6. Strong acquisitions like Skype, PayPal, Stubhub etc strengthened the brand
7. The company strives B2C as well as B2B businesses worldwide
8. eBay uses artificial intelligence & helps in data analytics based on online research & customer needs
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the eBay SWOT Analysis:
1. eBay is unable to eradicate fake or fraud sellers completely
2. Lesser presence in physical markets & intense competition
Read more about eBay
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in eBay SWOT Analysis:
1. The markets devoid of internet are untapped by eBay
2. Customers reluctant in shopping online can be persuaded
3. Partnerships with companies for bulk selling
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of eBay are as mentioned:
1. Can be subjected to online frauds & security breaches which can affect the business of eBay
2. Risk of being involved into selling of illegal entities
3. Newly emerging competitive online shopping portals
4. Government policies & taxation can affect business margins & operations
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 12 competitors of eBay:
5. Coles Group
7. Target Corporation
Hence this concludes the eBay SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Buy it now; World’s online market-place; Connecting buyers and sellers globally; Whatever it is, you can get it on eBay; Buy it, sell it, love it
eBay is a trusted brand providing online auction and shopping opportunities
Urban middle upper class internet users
Internet users looking for shopping and other transactions
eBay is positioned as a global online market place which facilitates shopping through – auction, fixed pricing and classifieds
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to eBay. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us