Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of eBay analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In eBay SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like eBay to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. eBay is one of the leading brands in the IT & Technology sector.
The article below lists the eBay SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top eBay competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
Buy it now; World’s online market-place; Connecting buyers and sellers globally; Whatever it is, you can get it on eBay; Buy it, sell it, love it
eBay is a trusted brand providing online auction and shopping opportunities
Urban middle upper class internet users
Internet users looking for shopping and other transactions
eBay is positioned as a global online market place which facilitates shopping through – auction, fixed pricing and classifieds
SWOT Analysis of eBay
For eBay, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the eBay SWOT Analysis:
The strengths of eBay looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of eBay :
1. eBay is an early market entrant with localized operations in over 30 countries
3. eBay has strong international presence providing services to a larger consumer base
4. A highly trusted and revered brand in the market
5. eBay has over 14,000 employees globally
6. Strong acquisitions like Skype, PayPal, Stubhub etc strengthened the brand
7. The company strives B2C as well as B2B businesses worldwide
8. eBay uses artificial intelligence & helps in data analytics based on online research & customer needs
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the eBay SWOT Analysis:
1. eBay is unable to eradicate fake or fraud sellers completely
2. Lesser presence in physical markets & intense competition
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in eBay SWOT Analysis:
1. The markets devoid of internet are untapped by eBay
2. Customers reluctant in shopping online can be persuaded
3. Partnerships with companies for bulk selling
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of eBay are as mentioned:
1. Can be subjected to online frauds & security breaches which can affect the business of eBay
2. Risk of being involved into selling of illegal entities
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to eBay. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute