Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Morrisons analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Morrisons SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Morrisons to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Morrisons is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Morrisons SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Morrisons SWOT Analysis:
For Morrisons, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Morrisons looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Morrisons :
1. Morrisons has an efficient supply chain and distribution network
2. It offers a large product portfolio to its customers like food, beverages, music, clothes etc
3. Morrisons is one of the big supermarket companies in UK
4. It has over 500 stores in UK with an employee strength of over 130,000
5. The company has its listing on London Stock Exchange & FTSE Index
6. Morrisons has established itself with prominent acquisitions in the past
7. Online retailing & shopping has increased the business for the company
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Morrisons SWOT Analysis:
1. Morrisons has limited geographical reach as compared to some other big brands
2. Alleged past issues pertaining to farmer rights has affected the brand image of the company
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Morrisons SWOT Analysis:
1. Growing market for organic products can be tapped by the company
2.International expansion of Morrisons stores can boost the overall business
3.Rising demand for private labels can be catered by the company
4. Acquisition of smaller companies & strategic partnerships can help the business grow
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Morrisons are as mentioned:
1. Increasing market share of competitors can affect the margins for Morrisons
2. Increase in taxes and change of Govt policies
3. More business by ecommerce companies can hurt the business of physical retail stores
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of Morrisons:
Morrisons is known for selling quality fresh food across UK
Those who look for price, convenience and freshness.
Having a food offering with broad appeal from Aldi to Waitrose.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Morrisons. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute