Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of ASDA analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In ASDA SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like ASDA to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. ASDA is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the ASDA SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top ASDA competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
ASDA is always connected to its customers via multi channel media to provide them services
People looking for groceries and daily need goods
Majority of married living people, internet savvy.
ASDA is UK’s cheapest market destination offering quality products
SWOT Analysis of ASDA
For ASDA, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the ASDA SWOT Analysis:
The strengths of ASDA looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of ASDA :
1. ASDA has a wide range of product offerings and service offerings include financial services
2. It is known for its amazing marketing campaigns showing services and customer delight
3. In constant touch with its customers via social networking – asks feedback, conducts competitions, etc.
4. The company is socially responsible through CSR initiatives
5. ASDA has over 150,000 employees working at over 500 stores
6. The brand has strengthened its position through many acquisitions
7. ASDA has been able to connect with its customers through online services
8. Strong backing of parent company Walmart can be utilised to increased business & penetration
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the ASDA SWOT Analysis:
1. ASDA has limited global presence as compared to few other competitors
2. Their ability to sell prices have restricted their entrance is few countries as the country fear a competition with local vendors
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in ASDA SWOT Analysis:
1. Expanding in new areas of pharmacies, opticians, jewelry and photo department.
2. Venturing into markets that are growing like India, China etc
3. Acquisition of smaller companies can help ASDA grow further
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of ASDA are as mentioned:
1. Price war with other retail chains brands
2. Pressure of maintaining low prices can margins of ASDA
3. Ever changing policies of various central govts
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of ASDA:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to ASDA. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute