Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: September 11, 2021
SWOT analysis of Tesco analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Tesco SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Tesco to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Tesco is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Tesco SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Tesco SWOT Analysis:
For Tesco, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Tesco looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Tesco :
1. Tesco is one of the largest grocies and retail company based out of UK, having a strong presence on the London Stock Exchange
2. Tesco has a diversified business ans offers products & services like books, clothing, electronics, furniture and software; financial services; telecom and internet services etc
3. The company has their own their private label brands, which gives high brand equity in market
4. Tesco follows new advanced packaging techniques which gives a unique differentiation to its consumer
5. Tesco has over 400,000 employees worldwide working in different roles
6. Has more than 7000 stores spread across various countries worldwide
7. Tesco brand is well established due to its innovative marketing and advertising strategies, and good operations since its inception in 1919
8. The annual revenue of the company worldwide is more than $60 billion
9. The company has a complete ecommerce portal, allowing its customers to shop online and the goods are delivered directly at their home
10. Tesco has focused on its digital marketing, and keeps its users engaged online via social media campaigns, online ads, discount coupons etc.
11. For its loyal customers, the company has a good loyalty program, which is offers several benefits to repeat customers
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Tesco SWOT Analysis:
1. The company faced a legal issues & lawsuits which which hurt its brand image
2. Tesco has limited presence in emerging countries compared to few competitors
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Tesco SWOT Analysis:
1. Tesco can plan to enter into emerging markets and expand the area of its operations
2. Leverage the digital media and its ecommerce presence in order to expand its reach to an international audience
3. Acquisition of smaller chains and tie-ups can help boost the business of Tesco
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Tesco are as mentioned:
1. Products & services can be imitated by competitors so constant innovation required to achieve uniqueness
2. Government policies and taxation can affect business operations of Tesco
3. High competition from supply sides as maintaining relationship with them is big concerns for companies
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 11 competitors of Tesco:
Tesco is one of the most prominent retail chain names globally
Retail and departmental stores
Middle class and premium class households
Tesco is the retail store which helps customers in getting their daily needs
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Tesco. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute