Wikipedia SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Wikipedia, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Wikipedia to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Wikipedia is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Wikipedia SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Wikipedia SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Wikipedia, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Wikipedia looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Wikipedia :
1. Available in various different languages
2. International presence
3. Can be edited by experts or any concerned knowledgeable individual
4. Integrated offerings like Wikitionary, Wikibooks, Wikiversity etc.
5. Displays source of the content available on Wikipedia which enables user to verify and judge the reliability of content
6. Over 20 millions articles have been contributed by 100,000 contributors having a reach of over 350 million people
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Wikipedia SWOT Analysis:
1. Wikipedia has had issues like duplication and authenticity of content
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Wikipedia SWOT Analysis:
1. Integration with various information resources to increase detailed content
2. Expand moderator’s community to supervise content
3. Provide opportunities to users to edit information which can be made more accurate
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Wikipedia are as mentioned:
1. Possibility of misleading content uploaded by some sources
2. Competitive information and knowledge providing portals
3. Standard modes of obtaining detailed information i.e. magazines, TV, newspapers etc.
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 2 competitors of Wikipedia:
Hence this concludes the Wikipedia SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
The Free Encyclopedia
Free and open knowledge source which can be edited
Internet users probing for knowledge using online platform
Positioned as a knowledge resource which provides free knowledge and allows content editing
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Wikipedia. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us