Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Wikipedia analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Wikipedia SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Wikipedia to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Wikipedia is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The table below lists the Wikipedia SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Wikipedia competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
Free and open knowledge source which can be edited
Internet users probing for knowledge using online platform
Positioned as a knowledge resource which provides free knowledge and allows content editing
SWOT Analysis of Wikipedia
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Wikipedia:
1. Available in various different languages
2. International presence
3. Can be edited by experts or any concerned knowledgeable individual
4. Integrated offerings like Wikitionary, Wikibooks, Wikiversity etc.
5. Displays source of the content available on Wikipedia which enables user to verify and judge the reliability of content 6. Over 20 millions articles have been contributed by 100,000 contributors having a reach of over 350 million people
Here are the weaknesses in the Wikipedia SWOT Analysis:
1. Wikipedia has had issues like duplication and authenticity of content
Following are the Opportunities in Wikipedia SWOT Analysis:
1. Integration with various information resources to increase detailed content
2. Expand moderator’s community to supervise content
3. Provide opportunities to users to edit information which can be made more accurate
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Wikipedia are as mentioned:
1. Possibility of misleading content uploaded by some sources
2. Competitive information and knowledge providing portals
3. Standard modes of obtaining detailed information i.e. magazines, TV, newspapers etc.
Below are the top 2 competitors of Wikipedia:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Wikipedia. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute