Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Readers Digest analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Readers Digest SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Readers Digest to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Readers Digest is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Readers Digest SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Readers Digest SWOT Analysis:
For Readers Digest, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Readers Digest Strengths
The strengths of Readers Digest looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Readers Digest :
1. For several years, Reader’s Digest was the best-selling consumer magazine in USA. 2. The magazine has 50 editions in 21 languages and is circulated in 70 countries worldwide. 3. The small size of the magazine makes it very readable. 4. It is one of the very few magazines that feature stories that are similar to fiction.
Readers Digest Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Readers Digest SWOT Analysis:
1. The magazine faces competition not only from the other magazines but also from pulp fiction. 2. Magazine sales have been severely affected due to more penetration of internet
Readers Digest Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Readers Digest SWOT Analysis:
1. The local editions of the magazine also have well developed distribution network, which the magazine must make optimum use of. 2. The magazine has a vast legacy of 90 years, which it can take advantage of.
3. The magazine covers a wide variety of topics through its articles and stories and thus caters to a broader base of readers.
Readers Digest Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Readers Digest are as mentioned:
1. Due to the availability of a lot of reading material and e-books on the internet, the popularity of Reader’s Digest is declining. 2. Regional language magazines are proving to be a threat to the local editions. 3. As the magazine is considered to be a leisure magazine it faces a threat from the increasing number of leisure options being available today.
Readers Digest Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Readers Digest:
1.Better Homes and Gardens 2.Family Circle 3.Good Housekeeping
Hence this concludes the Readers Digest SWOT analysis.
It is one of the very few internationally popular family magazines
Readers Digest STP
Families belonging to middle class and upper middle class in USA and other parts of the world
It is general interest magazine that caters to the entire family
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Readers Digest. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute