Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of DirecTV analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In DirecTV SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like DirecTV to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. DirecTV is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the DirecTV SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the DirecTV SWOT Analysis:
For DirecTV, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of DirecTV looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of DirecTV :
1.Wide coverage network round the whole America and offers channels in multiple languages
2. Offers DVR option that can store up to 160 GB
3. It provides different kind of transmission satellites – simple frequency and HD frequency
4. Provides additional services – it controls some of the best channels like Audience Network
5. Technology leadership continues to be a critical success factor
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the DirecTV SWOT Analysis:
1. Huge sum of operating expenses and capital expenditure to provide service to customersmeans limited margins
2. High cost of business negatively affect business
3. Subscriber acquisition cost is relatively higher than other firms
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in DirecTV SWOT Analysis:
1.Being control of large market share, it should spend on R&D to remain competitive
2. Expand reach by bringing this technology on mobile and start working on direct television
3. Diversify in to provide internet services and cellular products
4. Allows for flexible programming
5. Provide television programming to rural areas that did not have cable access and became a viable alternative to cable TV
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of DirecTV are as mentioned:
1. DVR facility offered by DirecTV does not record commercials
2. Missing commercials can mean viewers never get to know what is new in the market and what is being advertised
3. This could hurt advertisers and they may withdraw advertising with DirecTV
4. Carriage disputes with networks and/or broadcast companies
5. Regulatory risks and political situation
6. Greater service by cable and wireless companies
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of DirecTV:
Engaged in acquiring, promoting, selling, and distribution of digital entertainment programs
Commercial and residential customers, New TV buyers
All section of the pyramid
Monopolized the whole Satellite TV Provider market in United States
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to DirecTV. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute