News Corp SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of News Corp, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
News Corp is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector. The article below lists the News Corp SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
For News Corp, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of News Corp looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in starting SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of News Corp :
1.Third largest media giant (after Disney and Time Warner) with large number of profitable subsidiaries
2. As a top company in the Entertainment industry, News Corp. specialize in Broadcasting, Publishing, Media and the Internet producing films, television, Cable and Satellite Television, Magazines, Newspapers and Books
3. Consistent revenue and profit growth
4. Strong library content and over 50,000 workforce
5. Operating worldwide with employee base of 51,000 as of 2011
6. Operating in eight segments which include Television, entertainment, Cable TV, programming, newspaper, books, publishing etc.
7. Has numerous peripheral holding such as sports team
8. World's second-largest media group as of 2011 in terms of revenue
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the News Corp SWOT Analysis:
1. Involved in different scandals which negatively affect company’s image
2. Decline in sales of publishing industry reduces sales of News Corporation
3. Free downloading of movies has reduced the purchasing odf DVD’s.
4. Lack of succession plan
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in News Corp SWOT Analysis:
1.Alternative media outlets
2. Acquisition of Dow jones
3. Increasing Newspaper and Broadcasting market growth
4. Growth of HDTV market
5. Free to air Mobile DTV with “up sell” opportunities
6. Multi-year sports rights agreements
7. Gaming is huge market particularly online gaming
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of News Corp are as mentioned:
1. Increasing use of Digital Video Recorder (DVRs) is posing threat to marketers
2. Growth of online video and alternative media
3. Economic slowdown
4. Corporate Rivalry
5. Online piracy
6. A failure to pursue economic models that stray from ‘direct pay’
7. Rising popularity of Digital Video Recorder has potential to reduce advertising revenues which would negatively impact financial performance of News Corporation
8. Involvement in scandal leading to closure of News of the World newspaper due to allegations of phone hackings
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of News Corp:
1.Time Warner Inc.
2. Viacom Inc.
3. Walt Disney Company
4. Comcast Corporation
Hence this concludes the News Corp SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|News Corp Overview|
News Corp created as holding company for News Limited
Sports and entertainment around the world; Creating and distributing top quality news; Creating and distributing top quality news, sports and entertainment around the world
Diversified international media and entertainment company which helps it cope with a downturn in any particular business
|News Corp STP|
Users of cable network programming, filmed entertainment, television, direct broadcast satellite television and publishing
High and Medium section of the pyramid, Investors
Creating and distributing top-quality news, sports and entertainment around the world.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to News Corp. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us