Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of News Corp analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In News Corp SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like News Corp to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. News Corp is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The table below lists the News Corp SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top News Corp competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
Sports and entertainment around the world; Creating and distributing top quality news; Creating and distributing top quality news, sports and entertainment around the world
Diversified international media and entertainment company which helps it cope with a downturn in any particular business
News Corp STP
Users of cable network programming, filmed entertainment, television, direct broadcast satellite television and publishing
High and Medium section of the pyramid, Investors
Creating and distributing top-quality news, sports and entertainment around the world.
SWOT Analysis of News Corp
News Corp Strengths
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of News Corp:
1.Third largest media giant (after Disney and Time Warner) with large number of profitable subsidiaries
2. As a top company in the Entertainment industry, News Corp. specialize in Broadcasting, Publishing, Media and the Internet producing films, television, Cable and Satellite Television, Magazines, Newspapers and Books
3. Consistent revenue and profit growth
4. Strong library content and over 50,000 workforce
5. Operating worldwide with employee base of 51,000 as of 2011
6. Operating in eight segments which include Television, entertainment, Cable TV, programming, newspaper, books, publishing etc.
7. Has numerous peripheral holding such as sports team
8. World's second-largest media group as of 2011 in terms of revenue
News Corp Weaknesses
Here are the weaknesses in the News Corp SWOT Analysis:
1. Involved in different scandals which negatively affect company’s image
2. Decline in sales of publishing industry reduces sales of News Corporation
3. Free downloading of movies has reduced the purchasing odf DVD’s.
4. Lack of succession plan
News Corp Opportunities
Following are the Opportunities in News Corp SWOT Analysis:
1.Alternative media outlets
2. Acquisition of Dow jones
3. Increasing Newspaper and Broadcasting market growth
4. Growth of HDTV market
5. Free to air Mobile DTV with “up sell” opportunities
6. Multi-year sports rights agreements
7. Gaming is huge market particularly online gaming
News Corp Threats
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of News Corp are as mentioned:
1. Increasing use of Digital Video Recorder (DVRs) is posing threat to marketers
2. Growth of online video and alternative media
3. Economic slowdown
4. Corporate Rivalry
5. Online piracy
6. A failure to pursue economic models that stray from ‘direct pay’
7. Rising popularity of Digital Video Recorder has potential to reduce advertising revenues which would negatively impact financial performance of News Corporation
8. Involvement in scandal leading to closure of News of the World newspaper due to allegations of phone hackings
News Corp Competition
News Corp Competitors
Below are the top 4 competitors of News Corp:
1.Time Warner Inc.
2. Viacom Inc.
3. Walt Disney Company
4. Comcast Corporation
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to News Corp. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute