Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: November 29, 2015
What is Absence Management?
Absence management is basically a program to control the absences due to urgency, illness or injury with controlling uninformed, unscheduled or excessive absenteeism. Absence management is actually a very crucial factor related to the productivity of the workforce. Every organization gives great importance to the need of absence management. Absence due to the urgency or sickness is unavoidable within any organization but this should be in a very fair, sympathetic and in an understanding way. Absence is a cost factor for any company.
There should be effective monitoring of all types of absence as it very essential to maintain the absence at minimum possible rate. The absence which is not for a valid reason should be dealt under the disciplinary procedures. Efficient absence management involves striking a balance between providing a genuine support to employees with their heath issues and at the same time taking strict action against the employees who abuse their discretion. To manage the absence of employees there are various absence management software available in the market to manage the absence even more effectively leading to much better results.
Following are the various types of absence:-
1. A short term sickness leave.
2. Persistent lateness or any sort of unauthorized leave.
3. Some authorized leave includes maternity, paternity, annual leave, parental leave, educational leave, compassionate leave,etc.
4. A long-term sickness leave in case of something very serious.
Following are the effect of absence on the organization:-
1. The present employee will have to do the job of absent employee, which will lead to increase in workload and decreased morale.
2. Decrease in revenues of the firm and eventually decreased profits.
3. Regular absence would lead to the delay of projects and lack of consistency leading to lower productivity.
4. Negative impact on the colleagues, as they also feel like taking leaves and avoiding work.
5. Too much workload on the present employees might lead to mistakes which would incur extra cost for the organizations.
A wrong absence management may lead to the following consequences:-
1. Increased stress
3. Lack of trust
Hence, this concludes the definition of Absence Management along with its overview.
This article has been researched & authored by the Business Concepts Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse the definition and meaning of more similar terms. The Management Dictionary covers over 2000 business concepts from 5 categories.