Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Air India analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Air India SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Air India to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Air India is one of the leading brands in the airlines sector.
The article below lists the Air India SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Air India SWOT Analysis:
For Air India, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Air India Strengths
The strengths of Air India looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Air India :
1. Strong Backing by the government of India is a big boost for Air India 2. Brand New Fleet of aircraft acquired by Air India
3. Air India is known for its unique and high quality "Maharaja" advertising
4. The company has its presence in more than 20+ countries
5. Air India covers approximately 50 destinations in India
6. Good advertising and branding has increased brand value
7. Online ticketing and low prices have increased the sales of Air India
8. The airline offers inflight entertainment, lounge services etc
9. Merging of Indian Airlines in Air India increase the business operations of the airline
Air India Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Air India SWOT Analysis:
1. Labour Problems and political intervention is a cause of worry for Air India 2. Financial crisis leading to payment issues of employees
Air India Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Air India SWOT Analysis:
1. Dedicated set of customers can boost Air India's business. Also, it can leverage on brand new fleet
2. The company can benefit from expansion of routes and international destinations
3. Solving internal issues regarding workforce can hugely boost image and operations
Air India Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Air India are as mentioned:
1. Rising Labour Costs can affect Air India's business operations 2. Rising Fuel Costs directly impact the running costs 3. Losing Marketshare due to other carriers can affect business of Air India
Air India Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of Air India:
Air India is the oldest Indian international airline
Air India STP
Indian international travellers
Corporate, Upper Middle Class
Air India offers premium airline travel from India to other global destinations
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Air India. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute