Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of WestJet Airlines analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In WestJet Airlines SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like WestJet Airlines to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. WestJet Airlines is one of the leading brands in the airlines sector.
The article below lists the WestJet Airlines SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top WestJet Airlines competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
For WestJet Airlines, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the WestJet Airlines SWOT Analysis:
WestJet Airlines Strengths
The strengths of WestJet Airlines looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of WestJet Airlines :
1. Having the lowest airfare costs in Canada gives competitive advantage 2. Recipient of the Canadian Airline of the year award resulting in very high morale of employees 3. Strong brand image in Canada as offering a safe, customer focused and enjoyable air travel 4. Non-unionized labour force keeping costs and risk of labour disputes low
5. Good brand reputation and presence
WestJet Airlines Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the WestJet Airlines SWOT Analysis:
1. Lack of many Trans-Continental flights 2. It does not provide any sort of first class seating which can be a factor for losing higher class travelers 3. Being a low cost carrier, in-flight entertainment and snacks are being compromised which is of concern to many passengers
WestJet Airlines Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in WestJet Airlines SWOT Analysis:
1. Strategic alliances through code sharing and interline airline with American Airlines and Cathy Pacific will enable a strong network of operations and marketing 2. Leverage the user-friendly vacation planning site called WestJet Vacations
WestJet Airlines Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of WestJet Airlines are as mentioned:
1. Fluctuating economy reduces demand 2. With increasing cost of fuel it will difficult to provide services at low fares 3. As WestJet expands internationally, it has to face competition from experienced and well established airlines
WestJet Airlines Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of WestJet Airlines:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to WestJet Airlines. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute