Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 27, 2020
SWOT analysis of Mazda analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Mazda SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Mazda to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Mazda is one of the leading brands in the automobiles sector.
The article below lists the Mazda SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Mazda SWOT Analysis:
For Mazda, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Mazda looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Mazda :
1. Currently sole manufacturer to produce cars with Wankel engines 2. Ability to survive the protectionist policies of the US govt. in the late 70s & 80s where Japanese cars were overly taxed 3. Its ability to produce cars iconic cars like the RX-7, Rx-8 & Mazdaspeed, the crossover CX-5,Miata MX-5 and so on 4. It has been successful across the globe
5. One of Japan’s top five largest car producer
6. Mazda cars are fuel efficient & have adequate power as well
7. Ability to comply to strictest emission norms like the Euro stage 5
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Mazda SWOT Analysis:
1.Hasn't established itself as a major global player 2.Lack of sufficient branding & marketing exercise, i.e. the growth has not been because of marketing but in spite of poor marketing 3.Brand perception not as strong as competitors
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Mazda SWOT Analysis:
1. The growing acceptance of the SKYACTIV technologies will be a great opportunity that Mazda can tap, as these technologies can give efficiency equal to that of a hybrid drivetrain 2.It can further strengthen its brand through activities like race weekends 3.The Bio-Car that is being developed, has potential to change the definition of an environmentally friendly car as it would be completely made of mostly biologically produced materials
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Mazda are as mentioned:
1.Failure of people to accept the Wankel engine in newer markets due lack of manpower trained to service them, as the hybrid failed in the Indian markets 2.Protectionist policies of the governments of countries where they are not currently present 3.Rising fuel prices are hampering automobile sales
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of Mazda:
Only Manufacturer which produces cars with Wankel engine
For the young people seeking sporty cars
Urban Youth from the upper middle class
Youth centered sporty cars
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Mazda. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute