Philips SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Philips, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Philips is one of the leading brands in the conglomerates sector. The article below lists the Philips SWOT and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
Let us start the SWOT Analysis below:
The strengths of Philips looks at the key internal factors of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market and strengthens its position.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in a SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Philips :
1. Subsidiaries in more than 100 countries with more than 120,000 employees
2. Operates around 110+ production facilities
3. Has a very strong R&D portfolio, with 7 active R&D centers across the globe
4. Market leadership and strong brand equity - market leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare, energy efficient lighting solutions with consistent growth rate in emerging market
5. Aligning operations with market conditions to increase productivity - Philips focused on de-layering its management structure to increase speed of execution and lower operating costs, resulted in improvement in efficiency
6. Customer loyalty is high for consumer electronics made by Phillips
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which it can improve. Here are the weaknesses in the Philips SWOT Analysis:
1. Legal tangles tarnish brand image – With over 50 class action anti-trust complaints resulting in investigation against Philips like Lite-on digital solution, CRT division
2. Highly competitive market in electronic appliances from both local and international brands
3.Higher price quotient compared to competitors
Read more about Philips
The opportunities for any brand can include prospects of future growth. Following are the opportunities in Philips SWOT Analysis:
1. Growth through the inorganic route is key to Philips
2. Increasing demand for sustainable and green lighting products
3. Growing presence in emerging markets like India and China
4. Push from various government and environmental activists for greener products indirectly promoting the products of Philips
The threats for any business can be external factors which can negatively impact its business. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Philips are as mentioned:
1. Highly competitive business environment
2. Counterfeit goods - a major threat to manufacturers of branded electronics
3. Environmental and other government regulations
4. Exchange rate fluctuations
5. Availability of cheaper technology in local markets
Hence this concludes the Philips SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
Lifestyle and well-being
Sense and simplicity
Improving people’s life through meaningful innovation
Consumer lifestyle, healthcare and lighting
Users of domestic appliances like TV, video games; Users of kitchen appliances; healthcare industry users of imaging systems, patient care and clinical informatics; Industry and domestic users of light;
Trusted brand committed to quality and innovation
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Philips. This section covers SWOT Analysis along with Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us