Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: September 19, 2021
SWOT analysis of Ben & Jerry's analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Ben & Jerry's SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Ben & Jerry's to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Ben & Jerry's is one of the leading brands in the food & beverages sector.
The article below lists the Ben & Jerry's SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Ben & Jerry's SWOT Analysis:
For Ben & Jerry's, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Ben & Jerry's Strengths
The strengths of Ben & Jerry's looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Ben & Jerry's :
1. Ben & Jerry's has a high Brand recall among US consumers, prestigious branding through different promotional events “free cone day”
2. Improved credibility due to the brands constant involvement social activities
3. Ben & Jerry's has a large market share in USA in premium ice cream category
4. The brand is trusted for its high quality, tasty products and hygiene
5. Environmental friendly packaging helps Ben & Jerry's in ensuring a sustainable contribution towards the ecosystem
6. It was the first branded ice cream to be taken in space shuttle
7. Strong legacy of Ben & Jerry's since it is formed in 1978
8. It has a strong advertising and marketing presence via TVCs, print ads, online forums and digital marketing
Ben & Jerry's Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Ben & Jerry's SWOT Analysis:
1. Intense competition means limited market share
2. The brand name has been hurt by past political and social controversies
Ben & Jerry's Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Ben & Jerry's SWOT Analysis:
1. Frequent product innovation and diversification to address threats of substitute and imitation products and meet changing consumer preferences (i.e. lactose-free ice cream, all organic line of frozen desserts, cookies
2. Continue franchising scoop shops to increase its market reach and withstand growing competition, both nationally and internationally
3. Extend the brand into other categories
Ben & Jerry's Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Ben & Jerry's are as mentioned:
1. Health conscious people refraining from ice creams or switching over to low fat ice creams
2. Increasing competitors in premium category as well as in local markets can hurt business of Ben & Jerry's
3. Food & drug regulation, Environmental regulations
4. Protect its public image in light of the recent acquisition by Unilever by maintaining its current position as a market-leader in environmentally and socially responsible business practices.
Ben & Jerry's Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 5 competitors of Ben & Jerry's:
Innovative flavors of all natural % high quality premium ice cream & related products
Ben & Jerry's STP
People who love premium quality ice creams
Targeted towards kids, adults and rich families
Positioned as an Premium ice cream restaurant , their aim is to sell the finest quality all- natural ice cream & related products in a wide variety of innovative flavors
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Ben & Jerry's. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute