Lays SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Lays, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Lays to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Lays is one of the leading brands in the food & beverages sector.
The article below lists the Lays SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Lays SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Lays, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Lays looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Lays :
1. Lays is one of the world's leading potato chips brand globally
2. Lays brand has an excellent branding and advertising all across the world
3. Owing to excellent distribution and availability with the PepsiCo parent brand, the brand has grown significantly
4. The brand has a group of loyal customers
5. Frito-Lay has an annual revenue of more than $15 billion globally
6. Lays chips is sold in 100 different countries like USA, UK, Canada, India, Russia, China, France, Germany & many more
7. The Lays brand is trademarked in more than 200 countries
8. In a single year in USA, more than 300 million bags of chips are sold
9. The brand uses brand ambassadors like movie celebrities to promote their product
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Lays SWOT Analysis:
1. Despite being a market leader, it has tough competition from other brands as well as local players
2. Health conscious people avoid high fat and cholesterol in potato wafers
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Lays SWOT Analysis:
1. Lays can leverage successful brand of Pepsi
2. Continuing strong advertising, promotion and sponsorships can help the brand grow
3. Acquisition of competition can be one of the ways to strengthen the brand further
4. The brand can innovate with multiple local flavors based on the demand
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Lays are as mentioned:
1. Threat from local substitute snacks can affect the business of Lays
2. Boycott by health conscious people can lead to reduction of business
3. Being a global brand, its business & margins are affected by economic policies, fluctuations etc.
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of Lays:
Hence this concludes the Lays SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
No one can eat just one
Tasty waters for the youth with huge number of flavors
People who want to have between meal snacks
Youth of Lower, middle income
People who are successful yet are down to earth
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Lays. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us