Timberland SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Timberland, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Timberland is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector. The article below lists the Timberland SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
For Timberland, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Timberland looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in starting SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Timberland :
1. The brand has a strong retail presence in USA, UK and Canada through several flagship stores and is present throughout the world through MBO’s.
2. The brand believes in ecological preservation and is involved in active CSR activities to that effect.
3. The brand uses scientific technology into the production of its leather goods which give them a good credibility considering they are used in harsh weathers.
4. The brand has constantly looked to expand its brand portfolio through various product lines to make it a complete lifestyle brand for the adventurous people
5. Good advertising and visibility across US
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Timberland SWOT Analysis:
1.The brand has struggled to leverage on its financial position to expand its operations globally
2. The brand is currently in the transition stage after its merger with the VF corporation
Read more about Timberland
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Timberland SWOT Analysis:
1. The brand can expand its exclusive retail operations which are limited to USA and UK to new markets which have a growing demand for outdoor wear.
2. The brand can also look at sponsoring various outdoor sports outside USA which increases the know-how of the brand.
3.The brand can also try and outsource its manufacturing units to maintain economies of scale in future.
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Timberland are as mentioned:
1. The brand faces fragmentation in the outdoor-wear segment as its main challenge.
2. The brand outside American markets faces indentifiablity issues wherein many brands are offering a similar product
3. Tough competition from domestic and international players
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Timberland:
2. Columbia Sportswear
Hence this concludes the Timberland SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Apparel and Accessories
Quality outdoor wear
Outdoor apparel and accessories for men, women, kids
Men and women from the upper middle class
Complete outdoor sports brand
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Timberland. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us