Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Debenhams analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Debenhams SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Debenhams to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Debenhams is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Debenhams SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Debenhams SWOT Analysis:
For Debenhams, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Debenhams looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Debenhams :
1. Debenhams has high brand equity in fashion world and high brand recall among consumers
2. The company has stores spread in UK, Ireland and Denmark with 150+ stores and presence in around 20 countries
3. Debenhams has strength in merger and acquisitions of companies
4. Strong multi-brand retail stores with excellent customer services
5. Products and services include Fashion clothing, shoes, accessories, cosmetics, home and furniture, electricals, gifts, toys
6. Nearly 30,000 employees are working for Debenhams
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Debenhams SWOT Analysis:
1. Presence of many retail stores makes the market share capture slow
2. Debenhams has not tapped all types of customer segments and has limited global geographic presence
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Debenhams SWOT Analysis:
1. Franchise model would help Debenhams spread to make global presence
2. High opportunity to spread in European territories
3. Consumers preferences and choices evolving at a fast pace in fashion industry
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Debenhams are as mentioned:
1. High competition from domestic players in fashion industry can affect Debenhams' margins
2. Rising prices of raw commodities would increase input costs
3. High brand awareness and choice for specific products could lead to brand switching
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of Debenhams:
Debenhams is a multi-brand retail store serving UK
Style and premium class
Upper middle class individuals
Debenhams is a retail brand that offers style that differs you
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Debenhams. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute