Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: August 28, 2021
SWOT analysis of Netflix analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Netflix SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Netflix to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Netflix is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Netflix SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Netflix SWOT Analysis:
For Netflix, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Netflix looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Netflix :
1. Netflix is one of the most popular streaming service consisting of shows, movies, documentaries, biographies and other forms of content
2. One of the biggest strengths of Netflix has been the originals
3. There are multiple plans as per user's convenience and device type used. e.g. There are mobile only plans for markets where consumers watch content through phone primarily
4. Netflix's Content can be accessed on any device (Smart TV, PC, mobile, tablet etc.) based on the plan
5. Netflix is available in many countries and is becoming leader in the OTT services across the globe
6. It had more than 200 million subscribers as of 2021
7. Netflix is available in multiple languages catering to local markets as a lot of subscribers prefer and consume content in local languages
8. Netflix was able to cope up during the Covid-19 pandemic situation, it had cut down on HD content at some locations though
9. Netflix has made its service affordable to many as compared to its early days when it had less number of plans and was perceived expensive.
10. Netflix has high brand recall and awareness levels and is seen as pioneer of the OTT industry
11. Some Netflix shows like House of Cards, Stranger Things, Money Heist etc. have brands of their own
12. Netflix has adapted well over the years as the business started from being a CD/DVD rental service and has now become the biggest OTT platform globally
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Netflix SWOT Analysis:
1. Services like Netflix is available through high speed internet which is not available to everyone and across all countries
2. With pressure increasing for producing high quality content, the costs to produce originals is rising
3. Netflix rates are still very high for many geographies as compared to its biggest competitors
4. No user generated content is allowed on the platform which can be a weakness though Netflix controls the content quality themselves.
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Netflix SWOT Analysis:
1. Netflix can consider possibility to tie up with telecom providers to offer bundled packages to subscribers
2. It can also tie up with conventional media houses and TV channels to showcase their content to target audience
3. Netflix should produce more local content for specific countries
4. Possibility of Netflix phone or tablet can be considered
5. Netflix opportunities would definitely including collaborating with local content producers for certain geographies to have more loyal and diverse audience
6. Gaming and related content is one area where Netflix can diversify
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Netflix are as mentioned:
1. Threat from other streaming competitors
2. Government regulations can create issues for services like Netflix
3. High monthly cost of Netflix can be a threat
4. Services like games can take the timeshare
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of Netflix:
One of the biggest online streaming subscription based service in the world
People looking for digital entertainment
18-40; Upper Middle Class
Digital Streaming which can be accessed anywhere and anytime
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Netflix. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute