Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Virgin Media analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Virgin Media SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Virgin Media to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Virgin Media is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The table below lists the Virgin Media SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Virgin Media competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
First "quadruple-play" media company in the United Kingdom, offering television, internet, mobile phone and fixed-line telephone services
Virgin Media STP
Segmenting based on different sources of broadcasting
Fixed line, television users, internet users
A popular high quality media and broadcasting company
SWOT Analysis of Virgin Media
Virgin Media Strengths
Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Virgin Media:
1. All of the company's consumer services were rebranded under the Virgin Media name
2. Cable infrastructure brings many benefits to owners, because the expense of establishing cable infrastructure to customers provides a natural barrier to entry against competitors.
3. It also allows many additional services such as phone, cable TV and internet connectivity
4. The Sir Richard Branson goes for promotion in such a way that it effects all the media houses leading to trigger the all the channels with branding promotion.
5. Virgin Media owns and operates its own fibre-optic cable network, the only national cable network in the United Kingdom
6. Wide user base of approximately 5 million cable customers, of whom around 3.8 million were supplied with its television services (Virgin TV), around 4 million with broadband internet services and around 4.2 million with fixed-line telephony services
7. Virgin TV carries around 300 digital television and radio channels, including a mixture of subscription, premium subscription and pay-per-view channels.
8. Virgin TV, the digital cable television service from Virgin Media, currently ranks as the UK's second largest pay TV service
Virgin Media Weaknesses
Here are the weaknesses in the Virgin Media SWOT Analysis:
1. Integrating acquisitions could distract a company from other important tasks within the firm.
2. Expenses related to integrating back office IT systems and different corporate cultures could lead to further issues that hurt the firm over the long term.
3. High cost of business negatively affect profitability is a concern
Virgin Media Opportunities
Following are the Opportunities in Virgin Media SWOT Analysis:
1. Internet television brings higher demand for internet services through broadband carriers.
2. More penetration and tieups with other international companies
Virgin Media Threats
The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Virgin Media are as mentioned:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Virgin Media. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute