Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Shaw Communications analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Shaw Communications SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Shaw Communications to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Shaw Communications is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Shaw Communications SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Shaw Communications SWOT Analysis:
For Shaw Communications, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Shaw Communications Strengths
The strengths of Shaw Communications looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Shaw Communications :
1.One of Canada's largest telecommunications companies that provides telephone, Internet and television services as well as mass media related services
2. Economics of scale
3. Large bundle combines more TV channels, faster Internet speeds and lots of extra calling features for less price
4. Owned cable system in United States
5. Shaw has about 2.5 million basic cable subscribers, nearly 2 million Internet customers, and 1.2 million digital telephone users
6. Shaw Direct provides direct-to-home satellite programming to more than 900,000 subscribers
7. Free installation for online orders
Shaw Communications Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Shaw Communications SWOT Analysis:
1.High staff turnover can hurt Shaw Communications ability to compete
2. Work inefficiencies (Goods and Services are not properly utilized)
3. Promotional offers, or Limited Time offers apply to new customers only
Shaw Communications Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Shaw Communications SWOT Analysis:
1. Discontinue the carriage of FM radio station to free up bandwidth
2. Convert analog tiered cable service to digital
3. Launch wireless (i.e. cellular) network covering other demo
4. Acquire and takeover other television stations
5. Invest in new media content that will support news and other programming
Shaw Communications Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Shaw Communications are as mentioned:
1. Availability of substitute products at lower prices leading to easy switches to another product or service
2. Changes to government rules and regulations
3. Increased competition due to mature market and less market share
4. Not all Shaw services are available in all regions
Shaw Communications Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of Shaw Communications:
2. Roger Communications Inc.
3. BCE Inc.
4. TELUS Corporation
Hence this concludes the Shaw Communications SWOT analysis.
Creating exceptional experiences for customers through innovative content and distribution offerings
Shaw Communications STP
Company operates through three business segments: Cable, Satellite and Media
Customers consisting of television, Internet, Home Phone and satellite direct to home services
Canada's largest telecommunications companies that provides telephone, Internet and television services as well as mass media related services
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Shaw Communications. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute