Mattel SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Mattel, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Mattel is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector. The article below lists the Mattel SWOT and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
Let us start the SWOT Analysis below:
The strengths of Mattel looks at the key internal factors of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market and strengthens its position.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in a SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Mattel :
1. Mattel is a big brand name and one of the largest toy company in the world
2. Mattel offers a diverse line of toys, products and accessories in its portfolio
3. The brand recall of the company is high as compared to several competitors in the industry
4. Mattel has an efficient top management with nearly 30,000 employees
5. The company has prominent brands including Fisher-Price, Barbie dolls, Monster High dolls, Hot Wheels and Matchbox toys, Masters of the Universe, American Girl dolls etc.
6. The company has a strong financial position and has an annual revenue of more than $4 billion
7. Good advertising and branding through TVCs, online presence, digital marketing, social media and print ads have increased brand awareness of Mattel
8. The company has presence in 40 countries and the toys are sold in more than 150 countries
9. Several acquisitions have strengthened the company
10. Mattel has also diversified into film production and digital games
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which it can improve. Here are the weaknesses in the Mattel SWOT Analysis:
1. Legal issues in the past regarding alleged toxic content in toys affected its brand image
2. Imitation products easily available in the market leading to loss of revenue for Mattel
Read more about Mattel
The opportunities for any brand can include prospects of future growth. Following are the opportunities in Mattel SWOT Analysis:
1. Mattel has the potential to tap into comics and movie franchises to boost its business
2. The company can invest into video games & online games
3. Global expansion of its toys and creating product line popular in the country of operation can help boost its business
The threats for any business can be external factors which can negatively impact its business. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Mattel are as mentioned:
1. Increased competition from other toy brands can impact its revenue
2. Substitute activities like outdoor sports, video games, online games and other children activities can lead to loss of business for Mattel
3. Economic crisis and unfavorable trade policies can impact international business
Read Similar SWOT analysis
Hence this concludes the Mattel SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Toy Brands and Manufacturers
Creating the Future of Play
Leaders in action figures, dolls, video games
Dolls, toy cars, video games
Boys and girls of ages 3-15
To create unique and exciting collectibles for people across all ages
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Mattel. This section covers SWOT Analysis along with Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us