Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: September 19, 2021
SWOT analysis of Mattel analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Mattel SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Mattel to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Mattel is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Mattel SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Mattel competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
To create unique and exciting collectibles for people across all ages
SWOT Analysis of Mattel
For Mattel, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the Mattel SWOT Analysis:
The strengths of Mattel looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Mattel :
1. Mattel is a big brand name and one of the largest toy company in the world
2. Mattel offers a diverse line of toys, products and accessories in its portfolio
3. The brand recall of the company is high as compared to several competitors in the industry
4. Mattel has an efficient top management with nearly 30,000 employees
5. The company has prominent brands including Fisher-Price, Barbie dolls, Monster High dolls, Hot Wheels and Matchbox toys, Masters of the Universe, American Girl dolls etc.
6. The company has a strong financial position and has an annual revenue of more than $4 billion
7. Good advertising and branding through TVCs, online presence, digital marketing, social media and print ads have increased brand awareness of Mattel
8. The company has presence in 40 countries and the toys are sold in more than 150 countries
9. Several acquisitions have strengthened the company
10. Mattel has also diversified into film production and digital games
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Mattel SWOT Analysis:
1. Legal issues in the past regarding alleged toxic content in toys affected its brand image
2. Imitation products easily available in the market leading to loss of revenue for Mattel
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Mattel SWOT Analysis:
1. Mattel has the potential to tap into comics and movie franchises to boost its business
2. The company can invest into video games & online games
3. Global expansion of its toys and creating product line popular in the country of operation can help boost its business
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Mattel are as mentioned:
1. Increased competition from other toy brands can impact its revenue
2. Substitute activities like outdoor sports, video games, online games and other children activities can lead to loss of business for Mattel
3. Economic crisis and unfavorable trade policies can impact international business
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 6 competitors of Mattel:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Mattel. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute