Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: September 25, 2021
SWOT analysis of Thomas Cook analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Thomas Cook SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Thomas Cook to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Thomas Cook is one of the leading brands in the tourism and hospitality sector.
The article below lists the Thomas Cook SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Thomas Cook SWOT Analysis:
For Thomas Cook, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Thomas Cook Strengths
The strengths of Thomas Cook looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Thomas Cook :
1. Thomas Cook is one of the largest travel company in Europe and UK
2. Thomas Cook provides affordable and accessible holidays to people across various global destinations
3. The brand has a global presence with services like Package holidays, flights, hotels, resorts etc.
4. The company has an increased brand presence worldwide due to association with events Olympics
5. Close to 20,000+ employees with the company
6. Strong brand presence due to TVCs, online and print ads, and OOH hoardings
7. Sponsorship of many events and sports teams has increased the brand presence
8. Chinese company Fosun International backed the brand and revived its operations
Thomas Cook Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Thomas Cook SWOT Analysis:
1. Bankruptcy affected the business operations of the company
2. Intense competition means limited brand growth for Thomas Cook
Thomas Cook Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Thomas Cook SWOT Analysis:
1. The company can aim to become the largest travel company in Europe and UK
2. Thomas Cook can leverage its prominent brand name to increase its business globally
3. The company can aim to digitalize there operations for better penetration
Thomas Cook Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Thomas Cook are as mentioned:
1. Uncertainty in the tourism & hospitality sector can affect the business operations of Thomas Cook
2. Price wars can reduce market share and lower the margins for the company
3. Increase in liabilities due to unpaid compensations can affect business operations
Thomas Cook Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of Thomas Cook:
People from 18years to late sixties looking to travel places
All inclusive holidays
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Thomas Cook. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute