Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: January 03, 2021
What is Selection?
Selection process in HR is the activity of testing, evaluating & hiring new employees. The selection process begins once interested candidates send their CVs & apply for a job. CV shortlisting, written tests, group discussions, interviews, job offer, medical test, appointment letter are all a part of the HR selection process.
Whenever companies want to revitalize their workforce, fill for exiting employees or onboard talent with new skills, they have to initiate a recruitment process. Once job posting is done, a lot of candidates apply for the job profile. However, to hire one person from all applications, the company has to undertake a detailed HR selection process. This process is essential to test, evaluate & finalize that one candidate who will be an ideal employee & contribute with his or her skills effectively.
HR Selection Process
There are several stages which a company HR must conduct to ensure the right candidate is hired. The basic steps of selection are:
1. Screening applications- the first step involves screening all the applications received through various channels & removing any wrongly submitted CVs.
2. Shortlisting CVs- based on a candidate's education, work experience, skill sets etc, CVs of candidates are shortlisted for the subsequent selection process steps.
3. Written test- to test the technical knowledge & skills of shortlisted candidates, written tests are conducted.
4. Group discussions- in case there a large of candidates applying, a group discussion or GD becomes a step to evaluate the candidate's knowledge, language, confidence, participation etc.
5. Interview- after all the above steps, a few candidates are selected for a personal interview with the department heads. Interview sessions are detailed so that it helps the recruiter understand the candidate as much as possible. Generally, interviews are one-on-one face to face, but can also be done via phone, video conferencing etc.
6. Job offer- once a company selects a final candidate, they offer a job with salary, perks etc to the candidate.
7. Medical test- if the candidate accepts the job offer, a medical test is conducted to check the overall wellbeing & health of a candidate.
8. Appointment Letter- once all the above steps of selection process are satisfactorily completed, the candidate is appointed & is hired for the job profile.
Hence, this concludes the definition of Selection along with its overview.
This article has been researched & authored by the Business Concepts Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse the definition and meaning of more similar terms. The Management Dictionary covers over 2000 business concepts from 5 categories.