Leadership Styles by Goleman describes six types of emotional & personality traits of a leader namely, visionary, coaching, affiliative, democratic, pacesetting and commanding. Daniel Goleman came out with a book in 2002 on the topic of leadership style and the importance of leaders to create resonance in the organization. He mentioned six different leadership styles or traits and each have there of creating resonance.
In this article:
Goleman had identified that there can be several leadership ways in which a leader can inspire his subordinates. And all these can be defined by the leadership style, personality traits, attitude and emotional connect of the leader. The most effective leader will be the one who can switch between the various roles as demanded by the situation in order to create the resonance in the organization. A good leader leads the ways, provides motivation and ensures overall development of an individual. The resonance here is nothing but the positive feeling of faith and trust within the employees which increased the efficiency and effectiveness of the employees.
The six leadership styles by Goleman are as follows:
1. Visionary: This type of leader believes in the vision and acts as an inspiration for the employees and subordinates.
2. Coaching: This leadership style helps and believes in mentoring.
3. Affiliative: This type of leader is inclined toward creation of harmony and peace among subordinates.
4. Democratic: The leader is more of a team player and give equal chance to all in a democratic leadership style.
5. Pacesetting: This leader is high on taking initiative and achieving personal goals but low in affiliation.
6. Commanding: In this leadership style, the leader believes in giving orders and no chance of equal opportunity and affiliation. Prefers strict control over the company.
Hence, this concludes the definition of Leadership Styles Goleman along with its overview.
This article has been researched & authored by the Business Concepts Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse the definition and meaning of more similar terms. The Management Dictionary covers over 1800 business concepts from 5 categories.
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us