Barclays Bank SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Barclays Bank, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Barclays Bank to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Barclays Bank is one of the leading brands in the banking & financial services sector.
The article below lists the Barclays Bank SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Barclays Bank SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Barclays Bank, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Barclays Bank looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Barclays Bank :
1. Barclays has different Business units like wealth management, retail banking etc contribute to overall growth
2. Barclays was the First Bank to launch website in 1995
3. Large international network with good brand visibility
4. More than 145,000 employees are with the Barclays bank group
5. Sponsor of major sporting events
6. Operations in over 50 countries and around 48 million customers
7. Strong marketing and advertising has boosted the brand's presence. Barclays' most prominent sponsorship was the Premier League football tournament in England
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Barclays Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. Need of bailout in UK during recent economic crises
2. Controversies like funding of government in Zimbabwe affected the brand images of Barclays
3. Cases like Involvement with South Africa under apartheid, accusations of money laundering etc have affected the brand image
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Barclays Bank SWOT Analysis:
1. Growth and expansion opportunities in emerging economies is a huge opportunity for Barclays bank
2. Earning urban youth looking for investment options
3. Venturing into online banking is a huge untapped area
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Barclays Bank are as mentioned:
1. Stringent economic policies world over
2. Highly competitive environment from other banks can affect market share of Barclays bank
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 10 competitors of Barclays Bank:
3.RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland)
4.Goldman Sachs Group
5.JP Morgan and Chase
Hence this concludes the Barclays Bank SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Barclays Bank Overview|
Fluent in finance; It's our business to know your business
Barclays has an experience of 300 years
|Barclays Bank STP|
Merchant and Personal Banking
Large enterprises and rich individual investors from urban areas
Complete Banking and financial solutions
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Barclays Bank. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us