3M SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of 3M, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
3M is one of the leading brands in the conglomerates sector. The article below lists the 3M SWOT and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
Let us start the SWOT Analysis below:
The strengths of 3M looks at the key internal factors of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market and strengthens its position.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in a SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of 3M :
1. Strong research and development capability with over 80,000 employees worldwide
2. Diversified business with over 55000 products in its portfolio
3. It has operations in over 65 countries and commands a strong brand name
4. Robust cash position and financially improving performance over the years
5. Its product reach through retailers and distributors is in nearly 200 countries
6. CSR activities for environmental benefits is a good way to enhance market position
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which it can improve. Here are the weaknesses in the 3M SWOT Analysis:
1. Environmental issues and litigations have sometime affected the image
2. Being a market leader, any mistake hurts the brand image world over
Read more about 3M
The opportunities for any brand can include prospects of future growth. Following are the opportunities in 3M SWOT Analysis:
1. Acquisitions to strengthen existing businesses
2. Automotive industry on road to recovery would mean more business
3. More global presence through tie-ups and diversification in businesses can lead to more growth
The threats for any business can be external factors which can negatively impact its business. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of 3M are as mentioned:
1. Unfriendly environmental regulations and strct govt policies can affect position
2. Intense competition can lead to loss of market share
3. Risks associated with conducting business outside the US
Read Similar SWOT analysis
Hence this concludes the 3M SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Manufacturing and Technology
Innovative technology for a changing world
Innovation and fast organic growth
Industrial and transportation, Health care, Consumer and office, Safety, security, and healthcare services, Display and graphics and Electro and communications
Customers using industrial packaging, Industrial users of polymer and adhesives; Users of interior designing components, pharmaceuticals; orthodontic practitioners, users of stationeries and homecare products; computers and TV manufacturers; enterprise, military, aerospace markets
Creativity and process Innovation in various fields
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to 3M. This section covers SWOT Analysis along with Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us