Gazprom SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Gazprom, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Gazprom is one of the leading brands in the energy & power sector. The article below lists the Gazprom SWOT and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
Let us start the SWOT Analysis below:
The strengths of Gazprom looks at the key internal factors of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market and strengthens its position.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in a SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Gazprom :
1. Dominant market share globally in the natural gas business as a result of having large natural gas and hydrocarbon reserves in Russia, which gives it a huge platform of growth
2. Its strong Gas transportation network, the UGSS that also happens to be the world’s largest gas transportation system allows it direct control over its transport activities and helps it in trade
3. Excellent R&D initiatives (technologies of helium extraction in field conditions of East Siberia and Far East; technologies of distributed compressing to increase operational efficiency of fields in their closing stage; using gas as a motor fuel; harmonization of gas industry national standards and norms) help it reinforce its competitive edgeand enhance its technological progress
4. Its strategic partnerships with GDF SUEZ(for comprehensive electrometric corrosion inspection of five km of the Center-Vostok underground gas pipeline without pipeline pigs) and with BASF/Wintershall Holding facilities (for tests of BIOROS biopreparation for treatment of environmental areas contaminated with hydrocarbon pollutants) have helped it retain a technological advantage and thereby helped its trade
5. Its vertically integrated operations coupled with its operational infrastructure boosts its businesses and leads to high profits
6. Sponsorship of sports teams and events gives good visibility to the brand
7. Nearly 400,000 people are employed with the company worldwide
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which it can improve. Here are the weaknesses in the Gazprom SWOT Analysis:
1.Maturing Gas fields in western Siberia (Urengoyskoye, Yamburgskaya, and Medvezhye) whose production is declining over time will adversely impact its gas production in the near future
2.Old deteriorating pipeline systems which are still in use can lead to operational accidents and other leakages etc., which can impact its finances and revenue
Read more about Gazprom
The opportunities for any brand can include prospects of future growth. Following are the opportunities in Gazprom SWOT Analysis:
1.Its strategic acquisitions and joint ventures (with companies as Wintershall, WINZ, WINGAS, WIEH, WIEE,Novatek, Rozneftgas, Enel, ArmRozgasProm) will allow it to strengthen its existing business and enable it to gain a foothold in newer sectors
2.Science and Technology agreements (with United Metallurgical company, Severstal, Chelyabinsk Pipe Rolling Plant, PetroVietnam, VNG, Gasunie) will help it develop newer technologies to reduce operating costs and increae efficiency
3.Strategic memorandums (with CNPC, Europol GAZ, Shell, Petrovietnam, Caterpillar, Gasunie, and even the Russian railways) will help it increase its presence as well as revenues
4. Its Investment program which will see a major focus on the following gas production projects: pre-development of the Bovanenkovskoye, Medvezhye, Urengoyskoye, Yamburgskoye, and other fields and projects will improve its competitive advantage and increase its revenues
The threats for any business can be external factors which can negatively impact its business. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Gazprom are as mentioned:
1.Governmental Regulation leading to unfavorable pricing policies can result in losses for the company and hamper its growth plans
2.Weather sensitivity in the Siberian region where it mainly operates can lead to production/transportation problems and increase operational costs
3.Fluctuation in crude oil and natural gas prices due to gro-politics and other reasons can cause heavy losses to the company
Hence this concludes the Gazprom SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Oil and Gas
Dreams come true!
World’s largest company in terms of natural gas reserves
Corporates, countries and Russian and foreign consumers
Entities which require gas, gas condensate and oil
Global energy company providing reliable, efficient and balanced supply of natural gas and other energy resources
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Gazprom. This section covers SWOT Analysis along with Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us