Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 29, 2020
SWOT analysis of M&M's analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In M&M's SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like M&M's to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. M&M's is one of the leading brands in the food & beverages sector.
The article below lists the M&M's SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top M&M's competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
For M&M's, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the M&M's SWOT Analysis:
The strengths of M&M's looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of M&M's :
1. Worldwide high brand recognition, with high trust for the brand as well
2. M&M’s are an affordable brand of chocolates that almost anyone can buy, making the brand easily accessible to everyone
3. It comes in varieties of colors which is especially appealing to a lot of people specially children
5. They have excellent marketing and advertising campaign with remarkable characters for each colored candy
6. Personalized M&M’s gifts for weddings, birthdays etc. are a hit among the consumers of the brand
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the M&M's SWOT Analysis:
1. Although M&M’s are the number one chocolate sellers, their marketing cost is comparatively higher to other Mars products 2. Consumer consciousness about the high calorie and fat content in chocolates can drive down sales 3. Hard to keep on coming up with original ideas in the candy market
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in M&M's SWOT Analysis:
1. Having a worldwide market means that any new product they undertake will be instantly warmed to 2. The M&M shops worldwide are not only shops but tourist attractions, increasing sales all the time and ultimately widening their consumer market which will be ready for any new products
3. They have over 30 licenses to create other products such as t-shirts, mugs, soft toys and figurines
4. Advancements in technology- building up on their characters, developing more products
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of M&M's are as mentioned:
1. Lots of competition everywhere from other confectionary and chocolate makers
2. Their main competitors ‘Hershey’s’ are always creating new chocolate bars
3. Increase costs of making chocolate could make more expensive, thus making it lose the affordable tag and losing customers
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of M&M's:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to M&M's. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute