Uber SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Uber, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Uber to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Uber is one of the leading brands in the IT & Technology sector.
The article below lists the Uber SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Uber SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Uber, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Uber looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Uber :
1. Uber has global player with presence in over 50 countries and 200 cities
2. Serves as a market place for cab drivers and customers to connect, hence fixed investment is less
3. Gained a premium brand image especially in developing countries where public transportation was well complemented by Uber cabs
4. Enhanced user experience & higher customer satisfaction through usage of technology
5. First mover advantage globally by launching app based taxi services
6. Uber tweaked its international strategy as per the local markets for maximum customer experience
7. High awareness due to excellent advertising and marketing
8. Deep pockets & hence can burn cash heavily to acquire market share
9. Innovative features like UberPool helped make carpool mainstream and helped the customers and the company alike
10. Innovative pricing mechanisms and payment options make the journey as smooth as possible
11. Innovative safety features has helped Uber to strengthen its market position
12. Strong Brand image and recall across countries makes Uber a pioneer in the industry
13. Launch of services like UberEats has helped the brand a a lot in diversifying itself
14. Uber adapts itself well to changing market dynamics and consumer behaviour
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Uber SWOT Analysis:
1. Drivers are the face of the company and hence their behavior directly affects the brand image
2. While the demand is huge, amount of cash burning is huge and monetization is very difficult currently
3. Surge pricing can sometime lead to customer dissatisfaction
4. People without smartphones or internet connection cannot use Uber
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Uber SWOT Analysis:
1. Unorganized market is huge in developing countries and hence huge potential is there for Uber
2. Uber can look at increasing internet penetration & smart phone users through tie-ups with smartphone makers
3. Rising disposable income can help people chose cabs like Uber rather than traditional transportation
4. Shifting of consumers towards convenience creates huge demand for companies like Uber which is all about making the customer journey more easier and accessible as compared to existing options
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Uber are as mentioned:
1. Rising competition from local and similar cab aggregators
2. Presence of many existing traditional national players
3. Absence of clear government regulations in developing countries
4. Future for cab aggregator platforms like Uber is unclear due to lack of regulations
5. Customer loyalty is less in this industry as it is mostly dependent on price
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 7 competitors of Uber:
4. Kuaidi Dache
5. Didi Dache
6. Ola cabs
7. Meru cabs
Hence this concludes the Uber SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Service provider for taxi hiring(aggregator)
Where lifestyle meets logistics
Offering seamless travel with the rider walking away after arriving at his destination
People who mobile from one place to another for any purpose
Customers who are in need of cabs instantly & Early and late majority of business professionals
Evolving the way the world moves; Making cities more accessible; Bringing people and their cities closer
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Uber. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us