Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: September 12, 2021
SWOT analysis of Burberry analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Burberry SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Burberry to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Burberry is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Burberry SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Burberry SWOT Analysis:
For Burberry, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Burberry looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Burberry :
1. Burberry is a leading fashion brand and has a huge network of retail, wholesale and licensing channels globally
2. Burberry has a wide product range, offering clothes, perfumes, beauty products etc.
3. The brand has been granted Royal Warrants by Queen Elizabeth II and the Prince of Wales
4. It is one of the most valuable companies in the world owing to its legacy, since it started in 1856
5. Good advertising and brand presence in Europe, specially England makes Burberry a prominent brand
6. Associations with international celebrities to reach out to the customers has benefitted the company
7. Close to 10,000 people are employed with Burberry company
8. The brand has its presence in more than 50 countries through more than 400 stores
9. The Burberry website offers its entire product line for online shopping and once a customer purchases these goods, they are delivered to them directly
10. The brand has focused on digital marketing to spread awareness via social media campaigns, online ads, video content etc.
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Burberry SWOT Analysis:
1. Intense competition from other premium fashion labels leads to lower market share growth
2. The brand has to constantly fight with cheap imitations, which hurts its brand image
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Burberry SWOT Analysis:
1. After collaboration with other brands, Burberry can try to make fashion more affordable and yet maintain its niche
2. More advertising and marketing would increase visibility specially via fashion shows, international events etc.
3. Global expansion to major international hubs would help the brand grow worldwide
4. Effective use of ecommerce can make Burberry reach out to more customers
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Burberry are as mentioned:
1. The brand faces threat from other competitive everyday brands in terms of pricing as well as availability
2. The customers have a higher bargaining power and low switching costs
3. Intense competition, economic recession & higher taxation in the segment can reduce Burberry's business
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 11 competitors of Burberry:
Burberry is a brand with a distinctive British sensibility, strong international recognition and differentiating brand values that resonate across a multi-generational and dual-gender audience
Elite fashion for males and females in the premium segment who appreciate the smart and timeless classic style.
Middle aged men and women from upper class
Brand showcasing quality, style and elegance where beautiful craftsmanship is contrasted with form and function
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Burberry. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute