Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Walgreens analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Walgreens SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Walgreens to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Walgreens is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Walgreens SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Walgreens SWOT Analysis:
For Walgreens, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Walgreens looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Walgreens :
1. Walgreens provides access to consumer goods and services and pharmacy, health and wellness services in America through its retail drugstores, Walgreens Health Services division
2. The company operates 8,000+ locations across US, Columbia and Puerto Rico
3. Walgreens has a strong brand recall in health category
4. Has a strong employee base of nearly 250,000
5. Has worked on several environmental as well as CSR initiatives
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Walgreens SWOT Analysis:
1. High marginal pressure on profits due to many players in industry
2. Walgreens brand is limited to America only and has no international presence
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Walgreens SWOT Analysis:
1. People prefer easy and smooth solution for their health even in high prices so opportunity to increase prices and provide qualitative products
2. Focusing only on doctors for aggressive marketing to increase more prescription
3. Global tie-ups and expansion to increase Walgreens' presence
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Walgreens are as mentioned:
1. Government regulations in patent are not well accepted everywhere
2. Many players exist in pharmaceutical industry with same products but with different brands so immense competition
3. R&D is high expenditure are in pharma industry as it requires high amount of investment
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 6 competitors of Walgreens:
The pharmacy America trusts; Well trusted since 1901
Walgreens is one of the largest drug retailing company in US
Pharmaceutical and drug retail business
Middle class and upper middle class individuals
Walgreens offers affordable pricing and a wide portfolio of medicines & healthcare products
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Walgreens. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute