Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: August 26, 2021
SWOT analysis of Walmart analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Walmart SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Walmart to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Walmart is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Walmart SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Walmart SWOT Analysis:
For Walmart, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Walmart looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Walmart :
1. Walmart is one of the leading retail chains in the world & has a strong global presence
2. Walmart attracts consumers as very less prices offered as compared to competitors
3. The company has well developed supply chain and multiple supply of raw material from many vendors
4. The brand has achieved economies of scale, so cost of production is very less
5. Wide network of Walmart stores are present globally and therefore it is accessible to all types of individuals
6. Walmart has more than 10,000 stores in more than 20 countries
7. Over 2 million people are employed with Walmart
8. It has private brand labels, customer loyalty programs & discounts for attracting its loyal customer base
10. Walmart has been rewarded by several awards for its customer focus and services offered
11. Acquisition of smaller retail chains & investments in ecommerce companies has strengthened its position in the market
12. Walmart has diversified in fintech, digital marketing & online food ordering services
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Walmart SWOT Analysis:
1. Being the biggest retailer brand, Walmart comes under scrutiny for any mishap or policy
2. Controversies over its alleged strong-arm tactics of trying to suppress the unionization of its American workforce
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Walmart SWOT Analysis:
1.Walmart stands in situation where disposable income have been decreased due to global slowdown
2.Due to cost leadership is able to kill competitors
3.High brand equity gives advantage over competitors to build customer loyalty
4. Acquisition of smaller players can consolidate the position of Walmart
5. Global reach can be a big option for the company to reach out to more customers
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Walmart are as mentioned:
1. Gaining cost leadership in highly competitive environment
2. Growing competition from unorganized sector and ecommerce wrbsites can affect Walmart's business
3. Low prices product sometimes get easily substituted by competitors
4. High competition from other global brands means reducing market share for Walmart
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 12 competitors of Walmart:
Walmart is one of the mot well renowned and global retail giant brand
People looking for retail stores and supermarkets
Middle and upper class individuals
Walmart is a retail store which fulfills every need for it customer for a better life
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Walmart. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute