Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Poundland analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Poundland SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Poundland to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Poundland is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Poundland SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Poundland SWOT Analysis:
For Poundland, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Poundland looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Poundland :
1. Poundland offers a wide range of products with several brands
2. It has a large number of stores covering many geographical locations in Europe
3. Poundland has a high Operating Efficiency with over 15,000 employees engaged
4. Excellent customer service and so loyal customers
5. The company estimates it serves approx 3 million customers in a week
6. Over 800+ stores spread all across the UK
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Poundland SWOT Analysis:
1. Prices fixed, so has to operate very effectively under cost cuttings hence limited margins
2. Poundland does not have a strong online presence compared to large retailers
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Poundland SWOT Analysis:
1. Expansion in other parts of Europe and abroad can boost the business of Poundland
2. Can invest more in building strong e-commerce to increase revenue
3. Increase offer range to become a one stop shop for all customer requirements
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Poundland are as mentioned:
1. Rising competition in single pricing retailers further lowering the prices can affect Poundland's margins
2. Challenging economic conditions in UK will demand more value for money
3. Exchange rate fluctuations may hamper the growth plans with single pricing
4. Product substitution is easier in this market
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 5 competitors of Poundland:
Poundland offers good quality products with large variety at £1
People who buys home, kitchenware , healthcare products etc
Middle class people mostly woman who are price and value conscious
Poundland is one of the largest single price discount retailer in Europe
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Poundland. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute