Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: October 07, 2021
SWOT analysis of Sky analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Sky SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Sky to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Sky is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Sky SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Sky SWOT Analysis:
For Sky, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Sky looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Sky :
1. Sky Group is one the leading global media & telecommunications company based out of UK
2. Sky has exclusive sports rights for major sports events which are held across the world
3. High quality content is broadcasted across various regions like UK, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria etc.
4. The company had more than 30,000 employees worldwide
5. More than 20 million customers have subscribed to several services offered by Sky
6. Brand recall due to high quality content and event sponsorships
7. Sky has an annual revenue which is more than $15 billion
8. Strong backing of parent company Comcast gives the brand a strong position in the media sector
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Sky SWOT Analysis:
1. Legal issues and lawsuits in the past have often impacted the Sky brand
2. Intense competition means margins are limited
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Sky SWOT Analysis:
1. Network upgrades to triple-play services and online streaming content could help future growth
2. Mobile digital television (DTV) provides a huge opportunity for broadcasters who want to reach the billions of people
3. Tie-up with international players to maximize reach and penetration
4. Acquisition of popular media companies can strengthen the position of the company
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Sky are as mentioned:
1. Fragmented market and high competition means limited market share growth for Sky
2. Growth of OTT platforms, social media and online streaming platforms can indirectly reduce the revenue share for the company
3. Unfavorable govt and industry policies can hamper business
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 8 competitors of Sky:
Sky is a valued part of everyday life in over 10 million homes
Media and broadcasting
UK and Ireland customers
We entertain, excite and inspire customers with a great choice of high-quality television in high definition
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Sky. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute