Job enrichment is defined as the vertical expansion of a job, i.e. increasing the motivation of an employee by enriching the job by increasing giving more responsibility, autonomy and control in execution of the job. Job enrichment gives an opportunity to an employee to learn more on the job and help achieve their career goals by personal and professional development,
In this article:
Job enrichment is one of the various techniques of job design to identify the roles, responsibilities and duties of an employee. Job enrichment involves increasing the decision-making authority of the employee making the individual more involved with more meaningful tasks on the job challenging his/her skills. Job enrichment is also known as job enhancement. Job enrichment helps not only in adding to the motivation of the employee but helps the organization achieve its objectives more efficiently in the long run by more effective utilization of its employees.
There are several benefits of job enrichment for employees at workplace. Some of the key advantages are:
1. Job enrichment gives employees more motivation at workplace with added responsibilities.
2. It reduces repetitive work and plays an important hand in reducing attrition at workplace.
3. Job enrichment paves way for career growth for an employee.
4. More decision making capabilities helps the employee develop leadership qualities.
5. Job satisfaction is enhanced when a job is enriched by more skills
There are also several drawbacks of job enrichment. Some of its disadvantages are:
1. With too much responsibility & power with the employee, the company can lose control.
2. Job enrichment can overburden an employee and can adversely cause dissatisfaction.
Hence, this concludes the definition of Job Enrichment along with its overview.
This article has been researched & authored by the Business Concepts Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse the definition and meaning of more similar terms. The Management Dictionary covers over 2000 business concepts from 5 categories.
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us