Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Kodak analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Kodak SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Kodak to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Kodak is one of the leading brands in the consumer electronics sector.
The article below lists the Kodak SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Kodak SWOT Analysis:
For Kodak, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Kodak looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Kodak :
1. Kodak has a world class research and development 2. Unique strengths in the imaging,materials and deposition sciences 3. Kodak was responsible for breakthrough products with high quality, sustainability & productivity 4. A broad solution set across graphic communications, functional printing enabling, product goods packaging
5. Kodak has over 7,500 commercial imaging patents – a depth of intellectual property that enables partnerships with other innovators to create new markets, and disrupt existing markets
6. Made large cost reductions and exited its non-core businesses
7. The Kodak company has over 6000+ employees
8. It is a global pioneer in Digital imaging and photographic materials, equipment and services
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Kodak SWOT Analysis:
1. Bankruptcy hurt brand name of Kodak and has weakened its market dominance
2. Cases related to patents hurt the brand
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Kodak SWOT Analysis:
1. Can penetrate in the Asian market 2. Technologies like 3D printing can be leveraged by Kodak 3. Use its patented technology to appeal to the market
4. Sell long life cycle and high quality products
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Kodak are as mentioned:
1. Quickly rising digital space can reduce business of Kodak
2. Reduction in the use of printing 3. Marketing Cameras to B2B has failed so it might be difficult to market the Printers
4. Cheaper technology coming in and price wars from competitors can reduce Kodak's market share
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 10 competitors of Kodak:
Kodak is a top of the mind brand for photography & digital imaging
People looking for photography & digital imaging solutions
B2B in Printed electronics, fuel cells , Sensors and other printed products with functions beyond visual communications
Imaging for business
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Kodak. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute