HUL (Hindustan Unilever) SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of HUL (Hindustan Unilever), the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like HUL (Hindustan Unilever) to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. HUL (Hindustan Unilever) is one of the leading brands in the FMCG sector.
The article below lists the HUL (Hindustan Unilever) SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the HUL (Hindustan Unilever) SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For HUL (Hindustan Unilever), SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of HUL (Hindustan Unilever) looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of HUL (Hindustan Unilever) :
1. HUL is a part of the Unilever group, and hence has a strong brand equity in the FMCG segment
2. The company has more than 20,000 employees, making it one of the most prominent FMCG companies
3. Hindustan Unilever has a reach of over 6 million retail outlets which includes direct reach to over 1.5 million retail outlets
4. The company has two R&D centres in India, i.e. in Mumbai and Bangalore
5. The brand offers products in over 20 consumer categories with over 700 million Indian consumers using these products
6. As a part of its CSR activity, HUL has initiatives like project Shakti, plastic recycling, women empowerment etc
7. There is a strong legacy of the HUL brand since its inception in 1934
8. The annual revenue of the company is in excess of $5 billion
9. The brand has been consistently been recognized as a leading FMCG company and has an excellent reputation
10. HUL products have a good visibility owing to strong advertising via TV ads, print ads, online ads, social media engagement and digital marketing
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the HUL (Hindustan Unilever) SWOT Analysis:
1. Market share is limited due to presence of other strong FMCG brands
2. Hindustan Unilever faced controversies on products like skin lightening creams
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in HUL (Hindustan Unilever) SWOT Analysis:
1. HUL can tap rural markets and increase penetration in urban areas
2. Mergers and acquisitions can strengthen the brand further
3.Increasing purchasing power of people thereby increasing demand
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of HUL (Hindustan Unilever) are as mentioned:
1. Intense and increasing competition amongst other FMCG companies can affect business of HUL
2. FDI in retail thereby allowing international brands
3. Competition from unbranded and local products can hurt Hindustan Unilever's market
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 7 competitors of HUL (Hindustan Unilever):
3. Nirma Ltd
4. ITC Limited
6. Procter and Gamble
7. Dabur India
Hence this concludes the HUL (Hindustan Unilever) SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|HUL (Hindustan Unilever) Overview|
Consumer Products, Food & Beverages
Small Actions, Big Difference
HUL (Hindustan Unilever Limited) is India's largest fast-moving consumer goods company
|HUL (Hindustan Unilever) STP|
Products and services for daily needs
Every Indian household especially the middle class
Being the largest FMCG company, HUL's little efforts make a huge difference in the lives of people
|HUL (Hindustan Unilever) Product Portfolio|
1. Skincare: Lifebuoy, Lux, Dove, Fair & Lovely, Lakme, Ponds, Pears, Rexona, Vaseline
2. Household: Rin, Domex, Surf Exccel, Vim, Comfort Fabric
3. Dental Care: Close Up, Pepsodent
4. Haircare: Clinic Plus, Sunsilk
5. Deodorants: Axe
Food & Beverages:
1. Tea: Brook Bond, TajMahal, Lipton
2. Coffee: Bru
3. Kissan: Jam, Ketchup, Squash
4. Kwality Walls
The above mentioned brands are the prominent products under the HUL (Hindustan Unilever) product portfolio.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to HUL (Hindustan Unilever). This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us