Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 29, 2020
SWOT analysis of General Mills analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In General Mills SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like General Mills to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. General Mills is one of the leading brands in the food & beverages sector.
The article below lists the General Mills SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the General Mills SWOT Analysis:
For General Mills, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
General Mills Strengths
The strengths of General Mills looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of General Mills :
1. A strong brand reputation allows chargingmore money for similar products thus increasing profits
2. Exerts considerable resources toward identifying the evolving preference of its consumers
3.An innovative culture that continuously produces new and inventive products
4. Low bargaining power of suppliers
5. Financial Stability over years
6. The company has a strong workforce of over 35000
7. The company has nearly 100 brands in its product portfolio
General Mills Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the General Mills SWOT Analysis:
1.Risk associated with currency rate fluctuations is a concern 2. High dependence on US market for its revenues
3. Concentrated within few customers in the US market
General Mills Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in General Mills SWOT Analysis:
1. Since creating meals and adapting to the flavor profiles of the local cuisine are notable considerations for entering a foreign market, General Mills has teamed up with Nestle to purvey its cereal to European markets as a direct challenge to Kellogg
2. Rising demand for cereals should be used to General Mills’ advantage 3.Higher penetration with smaller retailer customers in the US
4. Increasing older population (baby-boomers generation), potentially a new market for the company's products
General Mills Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of General Mills are as mentioned:
1.Food prices are affected by fuel & commodity prices, which are increasing production costs 2.Private store brands and consumers’ increasing preference for less-processed, healthy food
3. The growth of Wal-Mart in the grocery food industry is of great concern for all existing business; in future it may even force suppliers of food to reduce their cost structure in an effort to reduce prices this will hamper revenues of General Mills
4. Unaware of lawsuits against them
General Mills Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of General Mills:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to General Mills. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute