Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of WeChat analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In WeChat SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like WeChat to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. WeChat is one of the leading brands in the IT & Technology sector.
The article below lists the WeChat SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the WeChat SWOT Analysis:
For WeChat, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of WeChat looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of WeChat :
1. Wechat is completely free, it's not a trial for one year then you have to pay like whatsapp
2. Wechat users can broadcast messages to groups, follow brands, share photos and videos, and connect to new users through location services
3. The voice messaging feature is especially popular among Chinese speakers
4. Wechat can find people nearby and allow you to message them so you can get to know new people
5. Marketers like Wechat because messages passed among contacts on this platform are more likely to be viewed
6. Wechat has a feature called moments which is like a timeline for you to post statuses and photos...absent in Whatsapp
7. Wechat supports signing in with a user ID and a password unlike Whatsapp where you can only sign in using your phone number
8. High awareness having more than 900 million active users
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the WeChat SWOT Analysis:
1. Allegations of security over privacy of data is a concern for WeChat
2. Intense competition means limited market share
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in WeChat SWOT Analysis:
1. Opportunity to expand globally to many countries
2. Rapid technological development can help WeChat have a higher penetration
3. Service expansion – Opportunity to expand to new services
4. Increasing internet penetration and number of smartphone users
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of WeChat are as mentioned:
1. Intense competition from other social media platforms
2. Changes in government regulation can restrict usage of apps & services like WeChat
3. Changes in consumer tastes – continuous improvement is needed – Else it will become obsolete soon
4. Availability of substitute products and services can reduce its usage
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 9 competitors of WeChat:
WeChat is one of the most popular Chinese social media platform and has an availability of the feature ‘moments’
Customers who need personalized messenger application (Relatively younger segment)
All Internet Users in China
WeChat is connecting a billion people just got more personal
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to WeChat. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute