Columbia Sportswear SWOT Analysis, Competitors & USP
Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 26, 2020
SWOT analysis of Columbia Sportswear analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Columbia Sportswear SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Columbia Sportswear to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Columbia Sportswear is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector.
The article below lists the Columbia Sportswear SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Columbia Sportswear SWOT Analysis:
For Columbia Sportswear, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Columbia Sportswear Strengths
The strengths of Columbia Sportswear looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Columbia Sportswear :
1. Strong legacy built for over 7 decades with the brand being attributed to be the largest American ski apparel brand.
2. The brand’s unique digital marketing for every sports outfit has been a success.
3. The brand is present in more than 72 countries through over 13000 retailers.
4. The brand owns all the facets of the production process which helps it maintain the economies of scale.
Columbia Sportswear Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Columbia Sportswear SWOT Analysis:
1. The brand is not well-known as its’ competitors in other parts of the word except America. 2.The brand has not advertised as compare to its competitors who are global leaders in the segment.
Columbia Sportswear Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Columbia Sportswear SWOT Analysis:
1. The company can start its independent retail operations in some countries to establish its identity as a formidable brand. 2. The brand can also start e-retailing for its select merchandise in different countries to improve brand visibility.
3. Increase global penetration by tie-ups
Columbia Sportswear Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Columbia Sportswear are as mentioned:
1. The level of fragmentation in the apparel and accessories market is detrimental as there is less customer loyalty. 2. The brand faces threat from counterfeit products which are sold at a much lower price than the branded ones. 3. The brand faces an identity issue outside USA which would mean a greater time for brand building.
Columbia Sportswear Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 4 competitors of Columbia Sportswear:
Young men and women from the upper middle and upper class
Complete sportswear and outwear brand.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Columbia Sportswear. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute