Poundworld SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Poundworld, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
Poundworld is one of the leading brands in the lifestyle and retail sector. The article below lists the Poundworld SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP.
In this article:
For Poundworld, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Poundworld looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value.
A list of strengths is mostly the starting point in starting SWOT analysis. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Poundworld :
1. Poundworld had nearly 200 stores spread across Britain
2. Subsidiary DiscountUK is a multi-price brand and has over 30 stores
3. Offered over 5000 products within the £1 cap
4. “Poundworld express” stores have convenience format
5. Strong brand presence in UK as it targets a huge middle class market
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Poundworld SWOT Analysis:
1. Limited brands and variety to offer compared to bigger brands
2. Poundworld had no presence outside UK
3. With inflation, fewer items are available every year at a price lower than £1.
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Poundworld SWOT Analysis:
1. Online retail and home delivery service
2. Small section of “Over £1” within the stores
3. Customer loyalty program to strengthen market share
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Poundworld are as mentioned:
1. £1 USP is not unique to Poundworld and affects margins
2. Mom & pop stores offer local competition
3. Increasing presence of convenience stores across UK
4. Major players in the retail sector offering products at lower prices by purchasing directly from manufacturer and eliminating whole-sellers
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 5 competitors of Poundworld:
1. 99p Stores
Hence this concludes the Poundworld SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
Family owned – Chris Edwards & Chris Edwards Junior
Poundworld offers products at £1
Price conscious customers
Lower middle class, retired or unemployed
Curtail your expenses
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Poundworld. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2000 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us