Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: September 13, 2021
SWOT analysis of Facebook analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Facebook SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Facebook to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Facebook is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the Facebook SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats), top Facebook competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & Unique Selling Proposition (USP).
Facebook is a social utility that connects you with the people around you; Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life
Facebook is a very strong platform to connect with friends and get news around the world
Internet utilizing computer users looking for a social connect
People inclined towards internet usage and business advertisers
Facebook is positioned as the biggest social network to stay connected with friends & family
SWOT Analysis of Facebook
For Facebook, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position. Let us start the Facebook SWOT Analysis:
The strengths of Facebook looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Facebook :
1. Facebook is one the largest social media platforms which has a large acquired customer mind space which shows its strong popularity across the globe
2. Facebook is quite trusted and popular brand among business advertisers as it helps them reach the most accurate target audience
3. Facebook has a very strong customer base which helps in expanding not only personal connects, but also small & large businesses
4. The website provides a very strong platform to connect with friends
5. The platform has close to 3 billion monthly active users including US, UK, India, Brazil and most of the countries across the globe and more than 50,000 employees globally
6. Facebook is the biggest brand name in social networking with presence in over 100 languages which includes whatsapp, instagram and messenger
7. Facebook's subsidiaries like WhatsApp & Instagram are hugely popular brands themselves sometimes even leading to more user engagement than the parent brand
8. Unique and popular games and apps helps in user engagement
9. The website is used by billions of users which has tremendous social impact, political impact and has revolutionized internet
10. Facebook proved to be even more useful during pandemic as people were connecting virtually
11. Facebook has constantly strengthened its overall position by acquiring technology & internet companies
12. The brand has been recognized as one of the most valuable companies in the world for its global presence and efficient social media platform
13. It has a strong presence on the American stock market via NYSE, NASDAQ and S&P components
14. The company has an annual revenue of more than $85 billion
15. Facebook constantly innovates and partners with the latest technologies like Oculus VR, Rayban Stories Glasses etc.
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Facebook SWOT Analysis:
1. Controversies regarding fake names, data leaks etc.
2. Facebook is not being used by the younger demographics
3. Internal competition from Instagram and Whatsapp can lead to issues in future
4. Lack of clear differentiation among various products in the portfolio
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Facebook SWOT Analysis:
1. Tapping the business opportunities in emerging economies can help Facebook grow further
2. Businesses having no online presence can be tapped by Facebook, which can help local businesses grow
3. Integrate with more telecom operators or similar companies
4. Facebook can be more transparent with users and help continue to ensure it safeguards customer's information
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Facebook are as mentioned:
1. Competitors trying to improvise their own product can hurt Facebook
2. Governments banning the website usage through monitoring & blocking can be a huge issue
3. Fake accounts, incorrect news & hacking instances can reduce the credibility of Facebook
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 12 competitors of Facebook:
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Similar analysis has also been done for the competitors of the company belonging to the same category, sector or industry. Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Facebook. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute