Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of MSN analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In MSN SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like MSN to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. MSN is one of the leading brands in the media & entertainment sector.
The article below lists the MSN SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the MSN SWOT Analysis:
For MSN, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of MSN looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of MSN :
1. MSN is one of the early market entrants with strong backing of brand Microsoft
2. Constant expansion of services offered by the company
3. MSN offers a wide range of services like messenger, news, search, email etc.
4. A wide customer base early entry and trusted parent company
5. One of the most all-time popular internet website
6. Services like HotMail, MSN Messenger, MSN Explorer are popular sub-brands of MSN
7. Strong brand name as the website & its services have been among the top since 1995
8. Apart from the US, MSN has a strong presence in Australia, China & other countries
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the MSN SWOT Analysis:
1. No key differentiator feature compared to competitors
2. Increasing penetration & usage of social media has diverted users from MSN & similar websites
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in MSN SWOT Analysis:
1. The markets devoid of internet are a huge potential to be tapped
2. Integrating more social websites and mobile service providers can help MSN further grow its presence
3. The present customers of Microsoft products and services
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of MSN are as mentioned:
1. Competitors present in the market can affect the business of MSN
2. Upcoming dedicated websites single service like e-mail or news
3. New innovations in contemporary competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 7 competitors of MSN:
MSN is an assortment of internet sites and services provided by Microsoft
Internet utilizing computer users
Internet users inclined towards multimedia and internet users through dial-up connection
MSN is positioned as a dial-up internet service provider and assortment of websites as well as multimedia services
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to MSN. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute