Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Merck analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Merck SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Merck to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Merck is one of the leading brands in the pharma and healthcare sector.
The article below lists the Merck SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Merck SWOT Analysis:
For Merck, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Merck looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Merck :
1. A strong brand name in the pharmaceutical industry
2. Huge product portfolio in pharmaceuticals
3. Provides medical help to underprivileged people in the US
4. Excellent R&D and innovations
5. Has its presence across Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Latin America
7. Has a strong workforce of over 40,000 employees
8. Customer loyalty and brand visibility is a strength
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Merck SWOT Analysis:
1. Problems of fake imitations affects the companies brand image
2. Hasn’t been able to aggressively enter emerging economies in terms of brand recall, which are huge potential markets
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Merck SWOT Analysis:
1. Broad-based medical innovation, in technologies and businesses across the spectrum of health care
2. Venture into health needs in under-developed and poor countries
4. Leverage its core business expertise and resources to create sustainable solutions in countries around the world.
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Merck are as mentioned:
1. Increasing obsolesce of technology
2. Competition from peers
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 5 competitors of Merck:
The Company operates both its Pharmaceuticals and Chemicals businesses in the country.
Pharmaceutical products, vaccines, prescription products, animal health & chemicals
Large business owners & operators
A global research-driven pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, manufactures and markets a broad range of innovative products to improve human and animal health, directly and through its joint ventures
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Merck. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute