Starwood Hotels and Resorts SWOT Analysis, Competitors & USP
Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: April 12, 2020
SWOT analysis of Starwood Hotels and Resorts analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Starwood Hotels and Resorts SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Starwood Hotels and Resorts to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Starwood Hotels and Resorts is one of the leading brands in the tourism and hospitality sector.
The article below lists the Starwood Hotels and Resorts SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Starwood Hotels and Resorts SWOT Analysis:
For Starwood Hotels and Resorts, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Strengths
The strengths of Starwood Hotels and Resorts looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Starwood Hotels and Resorts :
1. Successful social media campaigns and increasing revenue through digital media 2. Starwood is an extremely versatile brand. Every brand under this umbrella has its unique branding. 3. 1100+ hotels in around 100 countries through 9 different brands
4. The brand “Elementy” is the first LEED-certified hotel brand since it integrates green design, construction and operational practices that make the business sustainable as well as profitable
5. The mere number of locations increases loyalty to brand
6. Their loyalty program is the world’s most award-winning guest loyalty program
7. Has an employee strength of nearly 150,000
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Starwood Hotels and Resorts SWOT Analysis:
1. Stock prices decline has been a concern
2. Strong presence in US but globally Starwood is still not as recognised
3. No mid-market or budget projects. Reduced spending capacity has impacted the choice of hotels.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Starwood Hotels and Resorts SWOT Analysis:
1. Vacation ownership is a growing market 2. Digitalized media has gone big and has become a new source of revenue for companies 3. Economic downturn has reduced spending capacity, travellers are looking for offers or packages that might help them cut their cost down without really having an impact on the travelling experience
4. Diverse target markets
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Starwood Hotels and Resorts are as mentioned:
1. Constant political disturbances across the globe (in India) 2. Most hospitality giants are venturing into new emerging markets, increasing competitive pressure.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Starwood Hotels and Resorts:
1. Wyndham Worldwide 2. Marriott International 3. InterContinental Hotels
Hence this concludes the Starwood Hotels and Resorts SWOT analysis.
Luxury brand that offers a huge range of services through different brands.
Starwood Hotels and Resorts STP
Luxury, Upscale, Vacation ownership, Resorts
Business Travellers, Leisure Travellers, Families, Honeymooners
One of the world's largest hotel and leisure companies
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute