Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: September 04, 2021
SWOT analysis of General Motors analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In General Motors SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like General Motors to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. General Motors is one of the leading brands in the automobiles sector.
The article below lists the General Motors SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the General Motors SWOT Analysis:
For General Motors, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
General Motors Strengths
The strengths of General Motors looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of General Motors :
1. General Motors is one of the largest automobile manufacturers which sells vehicles in more than 100 countries
2. General Motors is a market leader globally by sales, with more than 10 million units being sold in a year at its peak
3. More than 100,000 employees are working for the company globally
4. The company has a strong global presence with hundreds of facilities serving international customers
5. Apart from the USA, General Motors has a strong presence in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America
6. The most prominent & popular brands under GM are Cadillac, GMC, Chevrolet and Buick
7. General Motors has a huge market share in USA which is one of the strongest in the domestic market
8. The brand has also regularly featured in several motorsport events
9. Strong focus on marketing through TVCs, online and sponsorship of global events
10. The company has invested in research & development of self driving cars as well as hybrid, electric and plug-in vehicles
11. During the 2020 pandemic, General Motors also used their technology to manufacture life saving ventilators
12. The brand has also adopted digital marketing and ensured of having a strong online presence via social media channels, video content and online ads
General Motors Weaknesses
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the General Motors SWOT Analysis:
1. Intense global competition means margins are less and limited market share
2. Car recalls in the past have hurt the brand image of General Motors
General Motors Opportunities
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in General Motors SWOT Analysis:
1.Increasing acceptance of eco-friendly, hybrid & electric cars is an opportunity for General motors to grow
2.Increasing purchasing capacity of people to afford cars
3. Increasing demand for automobiles in developing nations can be tapped by the company by international expansion
General Motors Threats
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of General Motors are as mentioned:
1. Fluctuating fuel prices and better public transport can discourage people from purchasing their own vehicle
2. Intense competition from global automobile players means lesser margins and more investments needed by General Motors
3. Emission regulations, government policies, economic recessions etc. can all impact the business
General Motors Competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 12 competitors of General Motors:
Complete automobile segment including SUV, Hatchback, Sedans
Young executives & urban households
Passionate about earning customers for life
General Motors Product Portfolio
The above mentioned brands are the prominent products under the General Motors product portfolio.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to General Motors. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute