Tata Motors SWOT analysis evaluates the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In SWOT Analysis of Tata Motors, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Tata Motors to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors, and make strategic improvements. Tata Motors is one of the leading brands in the automobiles sector.
The article below lists the Tata Motors SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Tata Motors SWOT Analysis:
In this article:
For Tata Motors, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Tata Motors looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Tata Motors :
1. Tata Motors is one of the most established company in automobile sector in India
2. Tata Motors has a wide & extensive distribution and service network
3. Good market penetration in the taxi & rental segment
4. Expert service professionals available
5. Many associations like Jaguar Land Rover, Hispanso, Macropolo etc increases Tata Motors' international presence
6. Dedicated engineering and R&D department
7. More than 70,000 employees are present with Tata Motors
8. Highly diversified product portfolio
9. Strong brand legacy owing to parent brand Tata
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Tata Motors SWOT Analysis:
1. Limited international presence as compared to international car manufacturers
2. Controversies like Singur plant for Nano etc hurt Tata Motors
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Tata Motors SWOT Analysis:
1. Expanding automobile market can be a boon for Tata Motors
2. Increasing per capita income and purchasing capability of potential customer base
3. Leveraging customer engagement experience to acquire new customers can be done by Tata Motors
4. Leveraging mergers and acquisitions to acquire newer technology
5. Tata Motors can boost business by augmenting the distribution and service network in various countries
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Tata Motors are as mentioned:
1. Increasing fuel costs
2. Competition from other big automobile giants means reduced market share for Tata Motors
3. Competitive products offering same level features at a lesser price
4. Product innovations and frugal engineering by competitors
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 12 competitors of Tata Motors:
1. Honda Motors
2. Toyota Motor Corporation
8. Hyundai Motors
9. Skoda Auto
12. Ford Motor Company
Hence this concludes the Tata Motors SWOT analysis.
Continue reading more about the brand/company.
|Tata Motors Overview|
SUV, Hatchback, Sedan
Inspired by people
Tata Motors is one of the oldest and trusted brand with extensive distribution and strong market penetration in India
|Tata Motors STP|
Hatchback, sedan & SUV segment
Targeted towards upper middle class customers
Tata Motors is positioned as a leader in automobile market inculcating innovative technologies to deliver value to customers
|Tata Motors Product Portfolio|
1. Tata Sumo 2. Tata Safari
3. Tata Indica 4. Tata Indica Vista
5. Tata Indigo 6. Tata Manza
7. Tata Indigo Marina 8. Tata Winger
9. Tata Magic 10. Tata Nano
11. Tata Xenon XT 12. Tata Aria
13. Tata Venture
The above mentioned brands are the prominent products under the Tata Motors product portfolio.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Tata Motors. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way.
Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute
What is MBA Skool?About Us
MBA Skool is a Knowledge Resource for Management Students, Aspirants & Professionals.
Quizzes & Skills
Quizzes test your expertise in business and Skill tests evaluate your management traits
All Business Sections
Write for Us