Published by MBA Skool Team, Last Updated: August 16, 2021
SWOT analysis of Colgate analyses the brand by its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats. In Colgate SWOT Analysis, the strengths and weaknesses are the internal factors whereas opportunities and threats are the external factors.
SWOT Analysis is a proven management framework which enables a brand like Colgate to benchmark its business & performance as compared to the competitors. Colgate is one of the leading brands in the FMCG sector.
The article below lists the Colgate SWOT, competitors and includes its target market, segmentation, positioning & USP. Let us start the Colgate SWOT Analysis:
For Colgate, SWOT analysis can help the brand focus on building upon its strengths and opportunities while addressing its weaknesses as well as threats to improve its market position.
The strengths of Colgate looks at the key aspects of its business which gives it competitive advantage in the market. Some important factors in a brand's strengths include its financial position, experienced workforce, product uniqueness & intangible assets like brand value. Below are the Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Colgate :
1. Colgate Dental Cream offers all-around cavity protection, even where a toothbrush cannot reach 2. It‘s great mint taste freshens breath 3. Colgate protects against root caries 4. It cleans & makes teeth whiter and repairs early decay spots 5. Colgate is an extremely popular brand and high brand awareness due to advertising 6. Sponsorship of events for dental associations have been beneficial for the brand
The weaknesses of a brand are certain aspects of its business which are it can improve to increase its position further. Certain weaknesses can be defined as attributes which the company is lacking or in which the competitors are better. Here are the weaknesses in the Colgate SWOT Analysis:
1. High dependence of the company on a single category i.e. Oral Care 2. Immense competition in the segment means limited market share growth for Colgate
The opportunities for any brand can include areas of improvement to increase its business. A brand's opportunities can lie in geographic expansion, product improvements, better communication etc. Following are the opportunities in Colgate SWOT Analysis:
1. Leverage on fact that Colgate has been ranked as the most trusted brand in India 2. Focus on innovation and new product launches by deploying advanced technologies 3. Growth in emerging markets – rural and semi-urban
The threats for any business can be factors which can negatively impact its business. Some factors like increased competitor activity, changing government policies, alternate products or services etc. can be threats. The threats in the SWOT Analysis of Colgate are as mentioned:
1. High competition from competitive brands like Pepsodent from HUL 2. Increasing commodity prices for manufacturing can affect Colgate
There are several brands in the market which are competing for the same set of customers. Below are the top 3 competitors of Colgate:
Colgate is the number 1 toothpaste brand recommended by dentists
Personal Care – Oral Hygiene - Toothpaste
All households looking for oral care
Colgate is a toothpaste with calcium and minerals to get an all round cavity protection
Colgate Product Portfolio
1. Colgate Total 12 2. Colgate Max White
3. Colgate Toothpowder 4. Colgate ZigZag
5. Colgate Cibaca 6. Colgate Active Salt
7. Colgate Sensitive 8. Colgate 360
9. Colgate Max Fresh 10. Colgate Plax
The above mentioned brands are the prominent products under the Colgate product portfolio.
This article has been researched & authored by the Content & Research Team. It has been reviewed & published by the MBA Skool Team. The content on MBA Skool has been created for educational & academic purpose only.
Browse marketing analysis of more brands and companies similar to Colgate. This section covers SWOT Analysis, Competitors, Segmentation, Target Market, Positioning & USP of more than 2500 brands from over 20 industry sectors.
The brand names and other brand information used in the SWOT Analysis section are properties of their respective companies. The companies are not associated with MBA Skool in any way. Edit the brand or add a new one to SWOT Analysis section : Contribute